Tilt through exceptions?

No that option only exists on more recent Stern games, I want to think it was introduced around Iron Man?

1 Like

And when you walk away from what should have been a Fellowship MB start shot, be ready for consequences. :wink:

Any SAM game should do this.

nooooooooooooo, of all the great and bad moment of my Sunday finals that is the ONE that is on the stream lol… Perfect combo to death…

Opening this thread up again – during our knockout tournament at RIP last night we had two tilt throughs (two different games) after not having a tilt through all year :roll_eyes:

This got a few of us discussing possible tilt through scenarios, most were addressed by IFPA rules, but @JSwain and I were wondering what the ruling for tilting through on a Stern Electronics game would be. It has tilt through protection so they don’t lose that ball, but you are still tilting through on a valid player’s ball.

1 Like

“Any player who tilts the ball of another player will receive a score of zero for that game, unless tournament officials grant an exception based on the behavior of the machine in question.”

Player 1 didn’t tilt Player 2’s ball in that scenario. This is not a tilt through. This is a “would have tilted through except for the fact that it didn’t” situation.

5 Likes

Yup. I’ve made this ruling at least once at the last four Pinburgh tournaments. It is my favorite ruling of all.

4 Likes

I was playing in a tourney and when we picked positions the guy with first choice picked first. I didn’t hear him and the other two guys thought he said 4th. I had last pick so I didn’t pay much attention to the order… after they all picked I asked so I’m going first? And two of the guys said yes. The other guy who picked 1st had walked away. I started to play and the guy who picked 1st came back and was like what the heck?! He was a little salty but he agreed to let me go first. If he had gone to the TD to complain how would this have been ruled?

Ultimately I feel like this is a “You played out of order, DQ’d for the game, lets all be more careful next time yes?” ruling

2 Likes

There’s no way to prove that the guy that claims he wanted to go first actually said that though. If he expected to play first, why would he walk off after declaring? Sounds fishy to me.

Also, why is this in this thread?

1 Like

How was selection being done. It needs to be written down, then what is written is truth. Either players should watch as their selection is written, or it is being announced to a TD (and still written down). Ruling in that case is easy, you would be DQed. It doesn’t matter what the other 2 players say, it is your responsibility to not play another player’s ball. I am guessing the TD could improve the process.

1 Like

I was replying to an old post… didn’t notice until it was too late. And I didn’t think the question warranted a new thread.

I don’t think it was written down. Or if it was it probably had me incorrectly going first.

This is why I love matchplay. I look at it before I start each game to confirm I am playing in the right order.

My favorite part of PAPA and Pinburgh finals . . . asking Kevin Martin “Am I up?” EVERY SINGLE TIME BEFORE I GO TO PLAY MY BALL :slight_smile:

Never gets old since it means I’m still in the finals!

8 Likes

That’s only technicality in verbiage. Game state is player two and you did tilt their ball sitting in the shooter lane. Game is just smart and compensates for it. Did it cause a loss of their ball no. You could almost say on a modern stern you could add a ball 4 mid game so they don’t lose any balls. And not rule it a dq.

Now I would never do that just it’s a semantics game with verbiage :blush:

I love it on sterns when a player who is “Tilted through” by another player freaks out because they got screwed and have me over for a ruling and I just plunge the ball and walk away and say play on you’re up. Puzzled look and then a realization that oh I was upset over nothing. Being a TD has it’s rewarding moment :wink:

6 Likes

Totally disagree. While there’s certainly a way to see it as a tilt through, it’s even easier to interpret the rule such that both the spirit and the letter of the law match up.

I would hope this would NOT be a DQ situation, since the error originated in speech comprehension and not players actually playing out of order. Definitely need to write down names as order is selected and before playing, otherwise first-choicers could try to replicate this error (mumbling “firthst”) in an attempt to get opponents DQd.

But verbiage is important, and the rule states “tilt through.” It is simply impossible* to tilt THROUGH an opponent’s ball on a vintage Stern, so basically this rule does not apply to those games.

*On a properly functioning game. A drop target that falls after being reset could validate the playfield and cause a tilt-through, which I assume would result in the standard DQ.

You tilted through your ball and into another players ball. When the game tilts again it will say player 2 is up if player 1 was the tilted.

For those that don’t know me personally I am just having fun with this and know the spirit of the intended rule. We all knows players will find ways manipulate interpretation any way they can to their advantage.

The one caveat I see though is a tilt through is often a very aggressive behavior and a dq is the consequence for that. If I do the same exact aggressive behavior on a classic stern opposes to a balky there is no punishment because the game auto corrects itself for the next player. We all know the rage tilt and usually it’s limited to only tilting ones self. When we allow players no limit to the rage tilt such as classic sterns we need to watch out for them as so they don’t become too aggressive. In an interesting way I feel tilt through rules help keep player behavior rules like aggressive shaking of a machine in a healthier check.

Ok one last one. Here is the exact verbiage on a tilt through giving another player a danger.

Blockquote

Any player who tilts their own ball, which then results in a tilt warning given to the following player will not have any consequences for the first offense. The player with the warning will be allowed to continue play as normal, or choose to have the ball played on a fresh game. Please note that games that allow for an additional ball to be added to the current game in progress, or for tilt warnings to be removed by a software adjustment, this solution will be used. A second offense by the same player anytime throughout the tournament, and it will be treated as a tilt of another player’s ball, with the rules from the previous paragraph being enforced.

Blockquote

Should a similar scenario be put in place for classic sterns? If you tilt through but the game compensates you get a warning. If it happens again you’re dq’ed. So either two classic stern tilt through or two dmd tilt warning throughs or one of each during the tournament gives you a dq.

I don’t think so simply because the subsequent player is not affected at all by your tilt through on the classic stern. They are affected on the stern DMD.

I don’t put much creedence to the warning being because of the violence of the act. I reserve the right to issue warnings for any behavior I deem excessive or abuse to the games.

3 Likes