The Neverdrains Universe

Two of those (UK Pinfest 2019, Northern Lights … 2017?) were PAPA style, which Adam said he excluded. Not sure on the third one you’re thinking of.

1 Like

Ah yes you are right Paul - third is UKOpen 2019

1 Like

This is the perfect graphical demonstration of which games have scoring which are more linear as opposed to exponential, i.e. the scoring blows up when you reach a certain point.

Do you have this available in a single place (I think you’ve done something similar with previous Pinburgh scores)?

1 Like

Graphical View is here:
http://philapinball.com/scoreboard/pingraphs.php

I cloned the Google Sheet where I source the graphs from and re-posted here.
Each game has it’s own tab but ArrayExport has all the games from that Selfie League.
Copy of PHILA Pinball 2018 Winter - Scores - Google Sheets

A very wonky and undocumented process, but I just pulled it up and here’s what I have for these screen builds:

• HTMLIMPORT() of MatchPlay pages via Google Sheets
  • VLOOKUP magic to bring it all together to a single page in Google Sheets
  • Publish that page to be a web-readable CSV
  • PHP functions to read the CSV and import into columns
  • PHP/Google Charts API calls to then dynamically render the charts.

Happy to share code for anyone interested.

At the end I had a product that would update fairly quickly after a score was posted to MatchPlay, with the limitation being how often HTMLIMPORT() in Google Sheets would refresh. That was back in 2018 when I didn’t have a good understanding of APIs, and if I were to re-build this now I’d approach the middle layer differently.

The other time I did a major pull of game scores was for PAPA 20: PAPA20ScoresExtract.xlsx - Google Sheets

Tableau App: https://public.tableau.com/profile/corey.hulse#!/vizhome/PinballWorldChampionships/Welcome

@Adam Thanks for the PM. I owe you an email which I’ll hopefully get to this weekend.

3 Likes

I just updated the universe to include all the PAPA “ticket-style” tournaments along with some additional herb-style tournaments as well (PAPA 16-19, INDISC 2014-2020, etc. We’re up to 221 tournaments now). I tweaked the look and feel of the pages a bit with even more cross referencing links and for the ticket-style tournaments, I show all the entries from everyone, including the ones that were voided, so other than @pinwizj, who has never voided an entry in his life, if you ever wanted to revisit all your tickets, now you can!

Next up, I would like to reconstitute the finals brackets, if they are available. A lot of these tournaments used Neverdrains to run their finals, so there is a ton of information still to mine.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

I ran an unlimited herb via DTM a couple years back at The Museum of Pinball. I wonder if the data for that got chucked inadvertently? I don’t see it in your list.

1 Like

Found it, and 3 others. It was hosted on a different database server than the rest, from when I was having ISP troubles. Sent to Adam.

2 Likes

WHAT?!? never voided an entry of his life? that’s crazy talk @pinwizj!

1 Like

This is really cool. Thanks for putting this together!

@Adam and @kdeangelo was TPF 2019 not in the DTM archives?

1 Like

It’s one of the 4 from the other database server. Adam will get it up in his next rebuild.

2 Likes

The value of being able to see your qualifying attempts years later (no matter how shitty) was always more entertaining to me than worrying about hurting any future qualifying ticket. I’m not a huge believer in that conspiracy theory :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Arcade Expo 2019 and TPF 2019 have been added to the Universe. We’re up to 223 tournaments! W00t.

2 Likes

thanks for adding the missing UK tournaments! Really useful link to data.

1 Like

There seems to be a problem with the UK Pinfest 2019 as there are no Aerosmith scores.
There definitely games played, recorded and valid.

A great database to be able to see all of the historical scores. Great job @Adam

1 Like

Thanks. I corrected the issue. There was an incorrect record in the database that was screwing things up.

2 Likes

I noticed that the threshold for having a Player Page was upped to 7 at some point. I was excited that additional tournaments I’ve played in were added to bump me over the 5-tournament minimum. Given that I can’t go out and find a Never Drains tournament to play in right now, any chance the minimum can drop back to 5? Excellent work as always, @adam.

1 Like

The question is how many players can Adam conveniently display. Stats-wise, of the 530 in the 7-or-more database at the moment, there are 12 with 30 or more events, 30 with 25+, 55 with 20+, 120 with 15+, 284 with 10+ and obviously 530 with 7 or more. Dropping back down to 5 as the threshold would add a bunch; I don’t know what Adam’s ballpark database size goal was, assuming it was “less than all of them” at this stage. BTW, Adam, nice work, thanks!

2 Likes

As Bob notes, the number of players in the universe goes up a lot as the number of tournaments come down so I wanted to keep the number of player pages around 500 (there are over 1,000 players with 5 or more tournaments now). But I found a compromise. You are actually in 6 tournaments total (Cax2015 had you as “Zoe” with an umlaut which didn’t match the other "Zoe"s), so I lowered the threshold to 6 tournaments (701 players), and you made the cut. Cheers.

4 Likes

Not surprisingly, Trent was in the most DTM tourneys, at 48. Looks like Werdrick edged out Bowden for 2nd with 38-36.

1 Like

Steve Bowden has done so many he’s listed twice ( @Adam ). Totally, he’s done 46 tournaments! I might have come in 3rd at 37 LOL if there are no other duplicates.

3 Likes