The Amazing Pinball Race 7: May 11-12, 2024

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=24926

Results for the main.

2 Likes

Link to finals. I linked to where Brianna explains the basic format and it shows the bracket. Gameplay and commentary start about 3 minutes afterwards.

Was hoping to get any feedback I could about both the format itself, the bracket, and the presentation of the stream with this format. Keep in mind we only had two rigs to work with and they are slightly a p.i.t.a. to move from game to non-adjacent game.

Commentary by Scott Vieth, @chuckwurt, @ScoutPilgrim, and Carlos DeLaserda.

2 Likes

Date has been updated for this year. Most likely going to try out Karlā€™s target matchplay format for qualifying and keep the finals format the same.

2 Likes

Fun tournament and very well run! Check it out if youā€™re in the region!

2 Likes

Is there a description of this format? Good luck with continued success of this event!

1 Like

Havenā€™t written one out for this year yet. Here is last yearā€™s google doc.

So qualifying placement decides order on all Finals games? Just wanted to be sure.

Sorry, was asking if there was a description of Karlā€™s target match play format.

Qualifying decides order on game 1, and then on game 9 when the top 8 qualifiers are brought in. The order of subsequent games is dependent on whether players pass the current lowest score. For the sake of the stream and fairness, I might do something different with the final four participants this year and determine their order from their qualifying standings.

I havenā€™t seen one but the results are still at

Www.neverdrains.com/patl2018

We run this at Pinball at the Lake each year. Regular match play with tiered swiss. The catch is that once you reach a pre-determined point value youā€™re qualified and no longer play in future rounds. Unlimited rounds up to a pre-determined time, or once all qualifying positions have been filled.

3 Likes

As Karl explained aboveā€¦

Iā€™ll add that Itā€™s a great format when you want to simply set a time frame for a qualifying portion vs. a specific number of rounds. I do this at ArcadeExpoā€¦ we start at noon, 18 points to qualify, no new rounds start after 5. Some people qualify pretty early on and then have more time to do event related stuff but everyone knows exactly what their maximum time commitment for qualifying will beā€¦ 5:30 at the very latest.

2 Likes

So the next logical step is PinballPinballPinball (or whatever weā€™re calling it) with people getting to a certain number of wins qualifying? And a bigger-than-normal queue, or lose machines as people qualify?

1 Like

Ah, right! I think thatā€™s a brilliant format.

I like that it gets the best performing players out of the way first so the next tier of players can duke it out, and on down the line.

3 Likes

Target Frenzyā€¦ good idea! Iā€™d say lose machines by random draw or allow the qualifiers to pick the machines that are being eliminated.

Tickets are available May 4th at 12:00pm eastern.

1 Like

BUMP! Tickets available tomorrow at noon.

1 Like

Registration is live, sign up now :slight_smile:

Sold out in 95 minutes! Waitlist is now active

1 Like