Stern Jurassic Park Rulesheet

I may have found a higher difficulty level of qualifying Chaos Multiball. Or a bug, but not sure.

I had already played Chaos Multiball at least twice and qualified it again. Made a shot to the pop bumper target…shot wasn’t clean, wound up missing it and hitting a bumper instead. Because of this, the Chaos Multiball arrow shut off and the game wanted me to spell CHAOS again, presumably for another try at making a clean pop target hit.

1 Like

Is there a call out when Feed Trex is qualified?

I tried this glass off and couldn’t reproduce it for any Chaos Multiball up to the 4th. What I did notice, though, is that after the second Chaos Multiball, the display will say “Chaos Multiball is lit” after every Chaos completion, even though it isn’t.

Feed starts automatically after the first T-REX completion, so it’s qualified when just the X is missing—there’s no callout for that.

I played around with T-Rex Multiball a bit, and scoring seems to work like this:

The collected hurry-up value is the base jackpot value, and each collected jackpot increases the value by 250K. Shooting a red shot both collects a jackpot and adds a multiplier to the remaining jackpots. The color of the non-red jackpots indicate how many multipliers have been added: blue = 1x, purple = 2x, cyan = 3x, yellow = 4x, N/A (only one jackpot left) = 5x. After all 5 jackpots have been collected, Super Jackpot is lit for the sum of the collected jackpots, and the multiplier is reset. Jacking up the hurry-up three times to about 3M before starting MB, then collecting 5 red jackpots and the Super will be about 110M. Doing the same during 2x playfield will be about 600M (2x base value from hurry-up, 2x jackpots added to Super, 2x Super).

There’s also some interesting behavior with regards to the Super Jackpot: When the T-Rex ramp is lit for Super, it will always also be lit for a normal Jackpot (because qualifying Super relights all jackpots), but shooting the ramp will NOT collect the normal jackpot, only the Super (IMO this is a bug, the shot should not be lit with the normal jackpot color when it’s impossible to collect the jackpot). This also means that collecting the Super will never end the red shot streak. Also, usually all jackpots have to be collected to relight them, but if Super is lit, the jackpot on the T-Rex ramp does NOT have to be collected to relight the other jackpots.

6 Likes

The callout is “rawr”.

1 Like

The LEs are delivered with v0.89 game code. I didn’t notice any change. Did you detect any additions or fixes?

Added this info to the wiki

2 Likes

I played around with Chaos Multiball a bit, and scoring seems to work like this:

The jackpot base value is 750K + (250K * number of CHAOS letters collected) and is increased by 750K for each consecutive jackpot until jackpot values are reset by either switching sides or by collecting a CHAOS letter (aka a Super Jackpot, which is worth the sum of of all unmultiplied jackpot values since the last Super). Switching sides relights all jackpots on the side the truck is facing and resets them to their base value. Collecting a CHAOS letter does the same, but it also sets a minimum jackpot value: Until the next reset, each jackpot is worth at least as much as the nth jackpot of the currently lit ones, where n is the number of jackpots collected between the previous reset and the letter collect.

This is a bit complicated, so here’s an example: Collect 1st jackpot for 750K, collect 2nd jackpot for 1.5M, then collect letter for 2.25M. Jackpots are relit and the new base value is now 1M, so the jackpots should now be worth 1M, 1.75M, 2.5M, and so on, but since 2 jackpots have been collected between the previous reset and the letter collect, all jackpots are now worth at least as much as the 2nd one, which is 1.75M. So, collect 1st jackpot for 1.75M, collect 2nd jackpot for 1.75M, collect 3rd jackpot for 2.5M. Switch sides to reset, now the next jackpot is worth 1M.

After collecting all the Supers again in the second phase, it seems to just add 250K to the jackpot base value and start over—if there’s a third phase, I missed it.

Here’s something weird: If you collect at least 4 jackpots without resetting, the truck is now a jackpot, too! This means that if you hit the truck to switch sides when there’s only 1 or no jackpots remaining on the left side, you’ll be awarded an additional jackpot before the values are reset. On the right side, this is not possible, since there are only 3 jackpots to collect before a reset is necessary. [EDIT: As Keith mentioned, this is possible on both sides, since the set trap targets are right hand side jackpots, too.]

Just as in the T-REX multiball, values are collected three times (jackpot, Super, 2nd phase Super), but while multipliers are stacked throughout the phases in T-REX, which opens it up to some nice 8x shenanigans, there’s no multiplier stacking in CHAOS: Supers are the sum of the base value jackpots, regardless of whether the they were collected at 2x, and 2nd phase Supers are just the same Supers again, regardless of how they were collected the first time.

Minimum value for a complete run through CHAOS MB is 85M. If you prefer controlled play to chaos, an efficient strategy might be to always stay on the left side [EDIT: or right side] and max out the first Super with all 5 shots, in order to set a minimum jackpot value of 4M for the rest of phase 1. After that, collect only as many jackpots as necessary for the next Super. This should result in 295M unmultiplied and average about 10M/shot.

1 Like

Both sides have same number of jackpots. The trap targets are right facing jackpots

1 Like

I probably shouldn’t be trusted to edit above but that should read awards EB, not lights EB. Completing the mode awards the EB. Collecting six rescues lights EB at the ramp, but T-Rex just gives it to you. Would appreciate it if someone could correct that.

I was sad to not see a T. rex chase champion award, that mode is so sweet… although the scoring still eludes me… I did like a 4 way combo of left ramp helicopter left ramp right ramp side ramp helicopter left ramp and it just kept saying “500k - shoot x to multiply” and then every once in a while more score went way up

1 Like

I really wish left ramp -> right ramp -> loop -> side ramp would be a Double Double Super Mega Skill Shot.

5 Likes

@sk8ball is there an official way to report bugs or maybe a public document to see which bugs you guys are already aware of so they don’t need to be reported again?

I had a look at how the T-REX modes score. First, in all T-REX modes, be aware that if there’s a green dinosaur shot on the playfield, the dino will sometimes pretend to be a mode shot even though it isn’t: If the dino shot is a mode shot at the same time, it will flash green/orange, which it should. If you then hit a DIFFERENT shot that by the mode rules should unlight that orange shot, it will still flash green/orange, which it shouldn’t.

Chase and Encounter end automatically after a certain number of shots, while Rampage doesn’t, so the time bonus of 1M/sec doesn’t apply to the latter.

Chase: Alternate orange shots and truck shots, with orange shots starting at 3M and increasing by 3M, and truck shots starting at 1M and increasing by 1M. Orange shots made within a few seconds of the last scoring truck shot pay double. The mode automatically ends after 5 orange shots have been made. Min value for a complete run is 55M, averaging about 6M/shot, unmultiplied max value without time bonus is 97M, averaging about 11M/shot.

Encounter: Truck starts the mode for 2M, then alternate any of the three shots on the right with the T-Rex ramp, where the T-Rex ramp is always 5M, and the first right shot is 4M base value, sencond 8M, third 10M. This base value is multiplied when collecting it on more difficult shots: heli ramp 1x, right ramp 2x, right orbit 3x. The mode automatically ends after three shots on the right have been collected. Min value for a complete run is 34M, averaging about 6M/shot, unmultiplied max value without time bonus is 78M, averaging 13M/shot.

Rampage: Shoot right or left ramp for 2M to qualify collect on left ramp. The first collect is 10M base value, then has to be qualified again and increases by 5M each time. Before collecting, you can shoot the heli ramp for 500K and a 2x on the next collect, or the tower ramp for 500K and a 3x. Those multipliers stack, so shooting both shots makes the next collect 6x, which can be huge. Unfortunately, the animation seems to have quite low priority, so pretty much any other animation like rescue, Pteranodon, combo, dino slowed, etc. will completely prevent the collect animation from playing (no sound either). This, combined with the fact that the left ramp is always lit in this mode, means that it can look like a huge collect didn’t register when in fact it did.

Rampage doesn’t end after some number of shots, so there’s no min/max value, and it also makes it the most interesting mode for risk/reward considerations. Let’s say you manage to get in 12 shots during the mode: Going for no multipliers makes 147M or about 12M/shot, always going for 2x makes 150M or about 12M/shot, always going for 3x makes 250M or about 21M/shot, always going for 6x makes 279M or about 23/shot. It might make sense to build up the base value with easy shots, leaving just enough time to go for a 6x (or even 12x with 2x playfield) collect in the end.

@raydaypinball, I think you mean Rampage, not Chase. That particular combo immediately after starting Rampage will give you about 115M, with the last left ramp shot being a 90M collect.

4 Likes

Interesting: prior info in the Wiki suggested after 3 Rampage “collect” shots, that the mode would end. So this isn’t the case?

"T-Rex Rampage: Shoot the left or right ramp to lower the T-Rex, then shoot the T-Rex (left ramp) to collect an award. Comboing from the Raptor Tower or Helipad increases the award. Complete this sequence three times to win the mode. "

Maybe “win the mode” means that’s enough to collect the fossil, but the mode does go on until timeout, and the fossil will be awarded after the mode ends.

EDIT: Just checked, this is correct.

Bonus Champion does not seem to work in current code- srill at factory 1 million though seen many many over that

pictures or links? is it just an adhesive item? if adhesive, how long can it really hang on mounting upside down and the truck gets banged back and fourth? Also what about a fix for the plunger not making the upside down ramp properly, even from auto plunge? All of mine are getting worse and worse.
Anyone come up with a fix? Wonder if a very strong plunger rod spring would help for manually plunging? the post under the upper flipper i put felt under the posts on mine to help with the washer and post digging into the playfields and posts getting loose every few games.

The one thing I’m noticing with the JP launch is that it seems to settle into various levels of working depending on the temperature, time of day, how many beers I’ve had, etc. But I made sure my shooter rod was perfectly centered and hitting just above the center of the ball as Keith suggested and that definitely seemed to help with the manual plunge.

My auto plunger has been super inconsistent though. I’ve seen it working great for an afternoon, shown up the same evening and seen it doing nothing but dribbling out of the shooter lane and then shown up again a day or two later to it mostly working ok. The auto-launch mech on mine was not square from the factory but the blades appear to have been bent in a way to make them hit the ball in the middle-ish (one angled slightly more than the other). No idea if this is effecting anything but I’m going to fiddle with it a little more today and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, there’s pretty much no room to move the actual mech to get it better aligned so I’m not sure how much I’m going to be able to do.

Does it also mean you have to not just make enough shots, but also survive til the end of the mode too (ala Flight of Icarus)?