Star Trek (Stern 2014)

Are there certain shots that are lit two-color in each mode? Or is it something else that determines it?

Aside: as someone who is red/green color blind I really despise this.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a weird idea. What if the modes had more of an all or nothing approach to scoring when you got to level three? All points you earned were only awarded upon completion. Maybe too brutal, you could go half points for non-completion. Or take a cue from TZ and award mega points in the bonus count for completions.

Wow, yeah that would really suck. Focus on the yellow and blue modes?

ST is a score balance mess. I think the combo multiplier while a fun idea ends up making going 3 deep a bit moot since it does not stack with shot multiplier. Klingon and Vengence MB are just not worth very much as compared to doing some tier 2&3 work with combos. Itā€™s a lot of work to get that Klingon double super jackpot and in the end its worth the same as one PD3 color shot.

If they end up stacking the combo and shot multiplier then those 2&3 values will have to be nerfed. Lose the warp ramp cap (caps at 1 mil I think for the riskiest shot in the game) Boost the MB values, fix the level 3 value carry-over and it could actually be a great tourney game :slight_smile:

As amazed as I am by Keithā€™s playing, what I really would like to know is how the modes each correspond to a classic rock song? Is there a setting for that, or how did you do that? Iā€™d love me some early Van Halen while playing ST!

Prime Directive: Right ramp
Space Jump: Vengeance
Save the Enterprise: Left orbit & Right orbit
Nero: Black Hole target
Destroy the Drill: Left scoop
Klingon Battle: Left ramp

Are these doubled shots lit this way the entire mode? Or do they only come on at certain times? Iā€™m confused about how this works. Thanks!

I re-watched the video and it seems like multicolor shots are specific to Prime Directive?

KB, STE, and Nero have a differently-colored shot on the left scoop (not blinking back-and-forth) and then only singly colored flashing lights.

Edit: Only watched level 3ā€™s.

Well every mode on level 1 has one multicolor shot blinking for the ā€œfinal shotā€; I guess that one scores somewhat more than normal, though certainly doesnā€™t seem to be double. I thought there was at least one level 2 mode that utilized multicolors too, but I guess you could just go back and watch Keithā€™s video to confirm that.

Should I add a wiki rulesheet for star trek? Sounds like a game where this is a lack of clarity about various things.

6 Likes

There are definitely several level 2 and level 3 modes that offer two-color shots during the mode for extra pointsā€¦ I canā€™t say Iā€™ve figured out the rhyme or reason behind these, but theyā€™re there.

(And yes, this sucks for color-blind peopleā€¦ Greg, can you distinguish the two-color shots at all, even subtly?)

I probably can if I pay close attention, but I hadnā€™t even noticed that two-color shots existed before someone pointed them out to me.

not PD specific. Actually the most valuable shot in the game is DTD3 multicolor shot. The caveat being that once you hit that shot it unlights leaving you with the tough task of hitting the roving shot x amount of times in 45 seconds while it skips over any of the color shots you already hit. So I can hit the right orbit over and over for 2 mil or wait for the multicolor which is huge (3x I think) which when stacked with a combo or 2x scoring can easily reach 20 mil. This mode would be more lucrative than PD3 if it were safer to shoot.

I decided to give PD3 a try in competition on Saturday. I had only read this thread about it and didnā€™t have a chance to play it out, but figured why not.

I struggled on ball 1 and 2, and ended up being down about 70M to 20M. As last player ball 3, I still had 1 shot left to finish PD2. Once that was out of the way I started PD3, and as advertised, it blew up quickly. I hit a couple ramp combos, then a LR, RR, LO, WRx2 combo for the win. I donā€™t know how much each shot was scoring, but I made the comeback in no time. I wanted to keep playing it out of curiosity but obeyed the mercy rule and we moved on.

What is the scoring for completing PD3? Does it make more sense to keep ā€œfailingā€ and restarting it to pick off the easy shots over and over? I havenā€™t watched the video, so I apologize if Iā€™m asking questions answered therein.

1 Like

In the video, @sk8ball basically just shoots left ramp, right ramp, left orbit, then times out the mode, restarts it, and does the same shot sequence again. I believe his logic is exactly as you describe: itā€™s an easy and safe comboā€¦ and no, Iā€™m not aware of any advantage to completing PD3 instead (well, it would permanently light the left saucer multiplierā€¦ not worth it).

What does completing PD2 involve?

Shooting all the lit shots before time expires. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s in the neighborhood of 30 seconds. If you donā€™t complete the shots, you can restart PD2 next time you select a mode and pick up where you left off.

PD is ā€œhit all shots onceā€ for all three levels. Iā€™m fortunate enough to have a ST on free play at work and I just went down to give this a go. It has a weak upper flipper and hitting the warp ramp is quite difficult.

If youā€™re playing a game with a weak upper flipper I wouldnā€™t go for this strategy. Itā€™s just to dangerous to hit the warp ramp to complete PD2.

Once I did manage to get to PD3 it was a little ridiculous how fast the points started to add upā€¦ I was just doing what @joe describes: Hit 3-4 of the safe shots. Restart mode.

I think itā€™s for the rest of the game. Can anyone verify?

I tried this yesterday and was able to get 220M. I completed space jump 3 and enterprise 3 before getting into PD. I think the orbits were 2xā€™d for the whole game from finishing Enterprise. Was able to get around 20M each time i strung those 3 shots together.

On another game I went through all the level 1 and 2 modes, several multiballs etc and was able to get about the same score . . . in about twice the amount of game time :wink:

soā€¦ medals. are there situations where you can have more silver medals than bronze medals going into KM MB? I think one of the level 2 missions was handing out silvers and skipping over bronzes when I shot the multi-colored flashing shotsā€¦