Problem with Ghostbusters switch in right orbit.

If you don’t want to remove everything on top to get at it, put the game in switch test and trigger the switch slowly with a long standard screwdriver. See how far you need to push it down to trigger it, then compare that to another rollover switch that’s working properly.

one of my concerns is that the issue might be caused by the ball going airborne for some reason as it goes up there. if that’s the case, the switch isn’t the real cause. i’ll have to investigate.

I have this same issue, and have yet to solve it. To be honest, I’ve kinda stopped trying, cause I’m planning on getting rid of this thing at some point soon.

I spoke with Chas at Stern plenty - he had no solution.

The problem is due to the ball skipping around too much up there. So often it goes airborne, and slams into the gate bracket. It sucks.

1 - If the ball jumps up and hits the bracket, it slows, and won’t make it around the orbit on mode starts. So now if you have the right orbit blinking for mode start, you have to hope your shot travels all the way around. For me 60% of the time it hits the bracket, slows, and falls into pops - not starting mode.

2 - Skill Shot. Shooting right orbit for skill shot is basically a bad idea, cause if it hops the switch up there and falls into pops, well, you blew it.

Here: https://youtu.be/P9IRH49_Ryk

Slow mo video of clean shot up right orbit. Ball bounces around like an idiot, hits bracket, does make contact with switch, but doesn’t close.

Another cool one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DMFMbeT4E

Yet another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vXT5gJo-w

I give up. GB sucks.

1 Like

Maybe adjusting the incline on the back legs can help mitigate how many airballs are occurring. There absolutely shouldn’t be any off the plunge, so that makes me wonder if perhaps it’s not steep enough.

Superelectric’s Ghostbusters Pro has ~10k plays on it so far, and I can’t say I’ve experienced this problem.

To clarify, it doesn’t happen on plunge. The skill shot issue is after a soft plunge and flipper cradle. I’ve got it set up slightly steeper than normal already, although I suppose I can go steeper. It’s not like the flippers have trouble making the ramps.

Ohhhh. That makes more sense. I tend to plunge hard or aim for light multipliers rollover, I was forgetting short plunge. Before steepness, maybe adjust the flipper coil strength? If you feel like it’s decently steep already it could just be the flippers are too powerful.

yeah, they’re already on soft, though. :slight_smile:

Check the area in the right orbit above the area where the shooter lane going into the PKE top roll overs, if there is mylar there, remove it. It causes air balls over that switch, often no amount of switch adjustments will make it reliable. This air balling is why harder shots don’t register but softer shots work. Early copies of the premiums do not have mylar there and do not have a problem with the right switch.

4 Likes

Thank you! I do have a strip there.

I’ve read about removing mylar from older machines…ones without clear coat. Is it that extensive to do on a new game?

Should come up easy using freeze spray as long as you have good access. Use a credit card on the edges to get it started.

Thank you very, very much, Redhop! I removed the Mylar today, and the switch now registers every time, no matter how hard the shot!

You rock!

4 Likes

Wow, really? This worked? I have the mylar strip, too.

I’m about to sell it (waiting for the next code release), but wondering if I should give this a shot.

It does seem very suspect that a thin piece of mylar can cause such havoc…

Assuming you’re already at 6.5 degrees or more already, try putting a 2x4 under your back legs. If it works better, it may be the mylar.

Worked big time. Everyone else I’ve talked to that doesn’t have the issue, also don’t have the mylar.

THANK YOU, this completely fixed my right orbit problem as well. Once the mylar was removed the shot felt SO much better and the completion percentage went up by at least 40-50%.

2 Likes

3 years late reporting, but yep, removing the mylar strip 100% fixed this issue for me.