Playoff format options

Haha. Awesome

1 Like

Ok so if we have 62 players for the league season and wanted to use this format we would need the top 8 to playoff for 1st (2 round final), then we can have players 9-12 do a B playoff for position and 13-16 do a C playoff for position. Sound right?

We promised everyone top 24 would make the playoffs so how do we handle 17-24? D, E and F playoffs seems pretty lame lol.

Technically you would only need the top SEVEN to make the playoffs to hit that 10% minimum threshold :slight_smile:

Our selfie league has been known to go as deep as H division before. Nobody seemed to mind.

1 Like

Heā€™s not kidding.

PS 5K drops all day long!!

PPS Itā€™s a bit nicer now because you donā€™t have to do 1234 in order. That comes close to nullifying the 5K drop strat.

2 Likes

Ok great. Iā€™ll suggest that to our execs. I like this format!

Boo!!! SHATZ-ALL-DAY-FTW!!!

2 Likes

Our tie breaker in cincy is always a random game, one ball playoff. We need to get a really mean EM in there or something to serve as ā€œthe tie break gameā€.

1 Like

Sure I guess, just seems bizarre to take only 10% of the players in an event to the finals (and weird to shuffle around the final positions of players who literally have no chance to take 1st, which doesnā€™t happen when you actually have a B division, etc). Oh well, looks like the cancer is spreading to more events :stuck_out_tongue:

If I could get my hands on one of these, Iā€™d drag it to every IFPA WC to serve as the tie-breaker game:

We actually used this at IFPA6 in London . . . the players called it ā€œBig Unfairā€ all weekend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks like people would probably care more about not getting themselves in a tie situation more than winning the tournament. Haha

This isnā€™t a cancer, itā€™s something for people to play for rather than just watching a final 4 compete for prizes.

At least this league final is over in less than 24 hours :wink:

4 Likes

I retitled that game Andrei Wins.

2 Likes

I just donā€™t see how this can be classed as a cancer?

This is a league ran in a bar, the vast majority of the players have never competed in any other events at all. Although having said that, the Midlands region of the UK Pinball league has seen a significant increase in the number of people who attended last season, bringing their wives and children with them. Itā€™s more of a social event, and chance to meet up with like minded people over a few craft beers.

I think itā€™s preferable to have everybody playing meaningful games on the finals night, rather than just discarding them for the elite to play best of 7 games. I see that as the best way to discourage new players from getting involved.
As well as the division prizes there are also trophies for:
Best newcomer - highest placed person in their debut season
Best individual game on the night - roughly based on percentage better than next highest score
Worst performance of the night - lowest points tally

The main reason for not wanting tie breaks and having all games played simultaneously is time. The comp starts 7:30-8:00 on a Monday night and the last train for some people is as early as 10:30.

I guess that if we were to run all 5 league sessions, plus the finals, consecutively we could get it finished within the normal opening hours of the bar. I could technically thus achieve max WPPR points every single weekend. However, the intention was never to run a ā€œsuper leagueā€ just to try and generate pts, like some others have done (and no, Iā€™m not knocking that). It was to support a new bar opening up in the centre of Birmingham by encouraging people to come along and play pinball, with a bit of friendly competition and banter thrown in.

From the tone of the OPā€™s original post it sounded like a fairly relaxed league where nearly half of the entrants will make the playoff/final and he wanted the actual league standings to mean something come the final standings. I was merely offering a suggestion based on how I do it.
Not everyone is going to like every competition format - personally I detest the pump and dump style formats which seem ubiquitous in America.

1 Like

Not getting the trouble with this one. This is literally the equivalent of saying ā€œhighest seed wins tiesā€ You can argue whether thatā€™s valid, but thatā€™s all it is. Is it unusual for a finals? Yeah. One could argue itā€™s further incentive to qualify better, getting the tiebreak advantage.

4 Likes