Pinburgh 2015 Consolation Tournament Results

Oh, I guess I read this as “go play in the consolation instead of playing in the main final”. I get the idea now. But yeah, it would suck to be in consolation and draw an A finalist as your first opponent. Some consolation that is!

I’m with you on keeping the restriction in place and not having the tournament count for WPPRs. But, I would have appreciated if there had been some sort of organized prize(s). I played just because it was fun to keep playing, but I was bummed to find out that I wasn’t competing FOR anything.

I thought the couple top finishers won swag, like free ReplayFX T-shirts?

They did. An attempt to acquire some more interesting swag fell through, unfortunately, so it was just choice-of-any-merch swag.

I was thinking something a little more interesting… like, how about top 5 in consolation get free entry into next year’s Pinburgh and arrange a couple of small trophies or plaques for top 3?

With Pinburgh’s expansion from 96 qualifiers to 160, a decision had to be made about keeping the cash prizes for consolation, or keeping them for bounties, and the decision was to keep them for bounties. (Pinburgh 2011-14 had cash prizes for consolation.)

I think people will be pretty happy with what comes next. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

This has probably been discussed, but by this logic shouldn’t any tournament at a 21+ location be ineligible for WPPR points?

Not sure if it’s written up in the official docs, but I know Josh has responded to that (either here or Pinside). Venue age restrictions are excepted. I know, because my venue is 21+.

Here’s a link to the discussion on Pinside when this issue came up last year.

Excellent, thanks!

So one way to have. WPPR-ized women’s tournament you just need to stick some pinball machines in a women’s only location? Sounds easy enough :slight_smile:

Well, even “women-only” gyms, as an example, are not women-only by law. I can’t think of any establishments that are gender segregrated by law. But maybe I’m not thinking hard enough.

Fair enough :slight_smile: