I put up a survey to get feedback from people. There were some common points:
Tl,dr: most popular requests
- Have a way to force machine swapping so there’s forced variety…this could be achieved by just having extra games if you are so fortunate
- Force “strength of schedule” somehow using IFPA rank/rating
- Force the same # of games for everyone
- Win % instead of W-L Diff
- This happens in every tournament. People also put too much stock in IFPA esp if someone is like in the 2000s or 100+ in state.
- There’s no format where if I beat Jim Belisto I get 5pts and if he beats me he gets 1…
- I feel this is partially a complaint about "playing the same people again and again", and this is a weakness of the format. It might actually be solved by having 1-2 machines play longer ironically enough.
- @jay suggested dividing the total playtime in half and running part 1 to completion, then having a (brief) break and then doing it again
- This screws over anyone who is P1 on a machine though it could be fixed if Matchplay allows the TD to manually manipulate the queue and place these players at the top of "part 2".
Lock everyone in at X games? Possible but dangerous, need to work around MatchPlay if you are using that
- De-activate players as they come up to the front of the queue and are at "the X"
- Mark them as not present and then use the adjust player option to zero everyone out later (easier?)
- Create a phantom machine and assign players to that (PITA, not a good solution since this will eventually give a win that has to be adjusted)
Can we update MP to use Win % instead of W-L diff + tiebreak?
- Deliberate slow play might be an issue but I guess that’s possible in the current system anyways
- Wouldn’t this cause a situation where someone wants to enter the tournament in the last X minutes to try to go 100%? Probably need a “minimum games played” rule.
- This can be done fairly easily without Matchplay by manual calculation (aka google sheets)
- This will exacerbate the “unequal opponents complaint” from above. This might also be better if an event forces everyone to play the same # of games.
Areas I noted that I need to work on:
- People will try to game reporting since queue is public knowledge, not sure what (if anything) can be done about this.
- I want a queue for people to report so it’s not just “loudest person gets recorded first”…also cuts down on chaos. I’m aware that machines closer to the queue reporting area will “have priority” but that’s life…
- I’m going to enforce starting on time better, especially since people can be added late. Only allow adds within first 15-30 min?
Everything aside, there’s something to be said for the spectacle this creates at a venue, you get people curious about pinball/competitive pinball so that’s cool. I wonder if they would be disappointed to show up to another event/league night and find it’s not the “crazy line format”?..