Pinball goals for 2017

Wait, what’s this? You won the raffle machine at Michigan Pinball Expo and never received it? Or am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

Iron Man HD isn’t silly, it’s AMAZING

2 Likes

People are sharing 2016, so here were mine (roughly).

• Make PCS (check)
  • Seed A at pinburgh. (Fail)
  • attend as many new events as I could (check. TPF, CJ, CAX, PAPA, Buffalo)
    And my petty personal rivalry objective for last year. Keep my head-to-head against @PinballProfile on IFPA site in the green. (Check)
1 Like

Have not received as of yet. Was told be one of the last ones. Never dreamed it would take this long. So yes you fully understood.

I really had to think about this for awhile. Here’s a list of my pinball-related goals for the year.

• Make A Division in both Cleveland PInball League and Kidforce Pinball League
  • Fix up my Lost World. I’m basically just procrastinating this, 10 or so wires from the transformer connector were cut and rectified for some reason? Ugh.
  • Attend at least 3 annual tournaments. I’m aiming for PAPA, maybe Sanctum, and there’s the Ohio and Cleveland ones.
  • Related to PAPA, since it’s my first time I’m going to start with C, and see how that goes or if I need to bump up. Qualifying is my only goal there, heh.
  • Crash another area’s tournament last minute. I’ve got a buddy with that “let’s do it!” mindset for everything and I know one day soon I’ll just be in the car headed for Toronto or Pittsburgh to make a last minute entry.
  • Hopefully crack top 1000 this year.
  • Become more aware of when I need to slow down my game. I start to get too pumped up on certain games and make too many on-the-fly or moving shots that end up missing.
  • Lastly, put upward nudges fully into my consciousness. I’m tilting frequently on tight machines because I’m doing downwards nudging. It’s good for loose games, which I play a decent amount of, but not a great habit on unfamiliar machines.
2 Likes

Win IFPA. Retire from competitive play. Make a few decent cover versions of pinball music.

4 Likes

Well, guess I know my goal now!

1 Like

Great thread!

Goals for 2016.

• Get to as many tourneys as possible including PAPA (check)
  • Win one big tourney (got lucky with 2, Buffalo Pinball Summer Open Classics, and my original league LOPL)
  • get to know more in the pinball community (voila…Pinball Profile does just that)
  • make provincial championships (check)
  • Top 20 in Canada (check)
  • Top 300 in IFPA (check…barely)
  • make A’s in Pinburgh (check, got off to a good start with 12-0 round one…then downhill from there)

Goals for 2017:

• at least 2 new tourney entries (Ohio and Michigan @ Clay’s looking good)
  • make A’s in Pinburgh
  • try A’s at PAPA (what am I thinking?)
  • Top 10 in Canada (longshot)
  • Top 200 in IFPA (need help)
  • at least one weekly Pinball Profile interview (they aren’t really podcasts, more interviews)
  • get past Round one of provincial championships
  • beat @gammagoat head to head. In pinball or physically.
4 Likes

I already get one out of the way this year - hit A division in a PAPA Circuit event (INDISC). But it also seeded another goal too. Anyway:

• Attend at least 3 new major tournaments (Pinburgh is already one of those).
  • Shoot for B in Pinburgh, then make a solid showing there. Stretch: A, and hope for the best. :slight_smile: (read: really shooting for A, but will be fine with B).
  • Crack the top 1000 in IFPA rank (stretch: top 500). The above will certainly help in that regard.
  • Familiarize myself more with classic SS and EM games, having been a child of the DMD age myself. There aren’t a whole lot of them on location nearby, but the situation is very slowly improving.
  • Train myself to play calmer under pressure. It’s one thing if it’s a local monthly tournament, but another thing altogether knowing there’s a vaster audience watching at a larger tournament. I fell victim to playing out some “fancier” moves that wound up stupidly costing me balls.
3 Likes
  • Go one full tournament without choosing “position”
7 Likes

My pinball goals are mostly related to OaaH (Operating as a Hobby; a term coined just now):

• Achieve same or higher revenue in year 2 as in year 1.
  • Add four new machines
  • Help people in the local community organize 6+ tournaments
  • Organize an event to bring in new blood: parent&kid split flipper; how-to-play-pinball workshop; …

Personal goals:

• Place top-3 in three tournaments
  • Take a machine from non-working in storage to a playable state in my home gameroom
4 Likes

2016 was a great year and 2017 started well (as tradition on New Years,a big score happens in the first game of the year). My goals are the following:

• Fix a Delta Queen in my place, or actually get someone to help fix it.

• Write/produce a series on pinball tutorials, strategy, and competition.

• If I have the time off, go to 3 majors outside of Pittsburgh.

• Qualify in A division in a major.

:heavy_check_mark: Win a notable local tournament (tricky to do in Pittsburgh).

PPL Season 28 champion, I guess I went big on that one?

:heavy_check_mark: Make the Pittsburgh Pinball League A Finals.

…and win them, too!

• Beat every frequent Pittsburgh player in a tournament once.

• Make the top 250 in IFPA ranking.

• Make the Pennsylvania State Championships. Also, go to Vegas.

• Don’t fudge away a Classics ticket at PAPA over a scissor drain. :sweat:

1 Like
  • Qualify for C division finals at PAPA
  • Reassemble my Farfalla, which I left unfinished 5+ years and one home ago
  • Finish top 8 at Pinball at the Zoo (PAPA circuit?)
  • Qualify for B or C division finals at Pinburgh (depending on how day 1 goes)
  • Win B division of Chicago Pinball League (tough, considering the roster)
  • Score 1 billion on The Walking Dead
  • Find a nice BSD
  • Stop being a baby about the queue at Expo and compete

why not just win it?

2 Likes

It was a fluke that I finished top 4 last year. Near-ideal game lineup, didn’t have to play vs. Trent, almost every bounce went my way, avoided Mustang 'til the finals, etc. Winning would be great, but not really a reasonable goal for me.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

::hi fives to this thread::

In the interest of keeping myself accountable:

• Launch the Philly Pinball League
  • Personally grow the number of games on location
  • Organize at least 2 more tournaments in the city
  • Make some new friends in the scene
  • Find a good deal on a solid state
  • Make B finals at Pinburgh
  • Win literally any tournament
  • Level up my nudging skills
  • Train myself to relax more while playing
3 Likes

The big one - get into top 1000 :white_check_mark:
Make provincials :white_check_mark:
Beat Flitton in a tournament :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Beat Becker in a tournament :white_check_mark: (now 1-57)
Grow Bluffs Pinball into a mostly sustainable operation :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
Raise $5000 with #pinballforchange to build a classroom in Rural Ecuador✅
Improve pinburgh showing :negative_squared_cross_mark::negative_squared_cross_mark::negative_squared_cross_mark:

Keep growing Bluffs
Improve Pinburgh showing
Beat Flitton in a tournament
Be more consistent, less red hot or ice cold
Play and learn more games
Get #pinballforchange to $10000 so the classroom can be built this summer.
Beat Zeus in the overall Bluffs standings

2016 was a great pinball year for me, hoping for even more in 2017!

4 Likes

Played a little bit a few years back then took some time off for the baby. Now my daughter is a little bigger and fortunately mom is very understanding. So hoping to get out to a lot of tournaments this year. The Mrs. even proposed the idea that we take mini trips to incorporate pinball tournaments with a side of family vacation.

So the goals this year are:
-break top 1000
-get out to a bigger event and do well
-learn to calm the nerves a bit during tournaments
-get over the EM repair fears and get one or two
-get some more ugly duckling solid state projects and turn them into fun players for the basement

2 Likes

Would love to see you at more events Phil. Was a pleasure playing with you back in 2014 in state College. Good luck getting more into pinball!

1 Like