PATL Returns - Pinball at the LAB Match Play Classic!

HI all! Time to mark your calendars for Pinball at the LAB 2021!!

2-Day match-play tournament held at the RIVERSIDE GAME LAB! – Same tourney, new venue!

Sat Sept 18th and Sunday Sept 19th.

IFPA sanctioned event! www.ifpapinball.com

Maximum number of players is 100! Registration coming soon and will be announced here.

On-site registration (if available) and check-in: 10:00am
Practice from 10:30am-11:00am
Qualifying match play rounds start at 11:00am and continue until 9:00pm or until all finals slots are filled.
Finals on Sunday, Sept 19th starting at 10am.

Format: Target Match Play
Entry Fee: WPPR rank 1-250: $70, rank 251+: $40
Game list: TBA

Qualification Rounds:

Players will be placed into four-player groups (occasionally three-player) to compete on an individual, randomly selected machine.
Points will be awarded based upon performance on that machine (3/2/1/0) and added to a running total for the tournament.
A player qualifies for finals by reaching or passing a target value of 25 points at which point the player no longer competes in the qualification rounds.
Match play will continue until all available finals positions are filled. If the time allotted for match play expires prior to filling all finals positions, the remaining positions will be filled based upon rankings tabulated at the conclusion of the final match play round.

Final Rounds:

Top 12 go to ‘A’ finals, next 8 go to ‘B’ finals.
If we get at least 64 players we will bump the ‘A’ division to: Top-16 qualify.
Players with WPPR rankings 1-250 will be restricted from playing in ‘B’ finals.
Players that placed 1st for 2018/2019 will be restricted from playing in ‘B’ finals.
4 Player groups with the same scoring as the qualification rounds (3/2/1/0).

Project Pinball Side Tournament - Game TBA, Format: TBA

Watch here and www.iepinball.com for more details and updates coming soon!

Welcome back to competitive pinball! We would love for you to join us!

8 Likes

sounds pretty exciting! trying to to plan potential return flight time, any idea of duration or target pts? :slight_smile:

25 points is the target value.

Finals start at 10am Sunday and are 3 rounds of 4-game match play. I generally budget 2 1/2 hours for each round which errs on the side of caution. Think it’s safe to say it should end around 5pm.

2 Likes

Be ready this Saturday for registration!

3 Likes

Anyone who wants to split a hotel with me - I’ve got a room at the Quality Inn about 2 miles away with 2 double beds! Send me a private message for details

3 Likes

PATL registration is now OPEN!
0/100 spots remain - Get your name on the waitlist as some spots will most likely open up in the future!

Join us!

Www.iepinball.com

1 Like

@pinbwzrd

Any guesstimate on when Finals will wrap up? (scheduling departing flights) :slight_smile:

@cayle
Finals start at 10am Sunday and are 3 rounds of 4-game match play. We generally budget 2 1/2 hours for each round which errs on the side of caution. Think it’s safe to say it should end around 5pm-6pm.

2 Likes

Famous last words of a TD.

7 Likes

PATL 2021 only 9 days away!

We are full at the moment (100), but expect a good amount of waitlist movement in the next few days. Waitlist is short at the moment, so if you were on the fence and now would like to play, get your name on that waitlist now…good chance you’ll be joining us in 9 days! :slight_smile:

Oh…and here’s the 1st peek at the game list…

PATL 2021 Games…

Rollergames

RoboCop

TZ

Avengers pro

Banzai Run

TNA

Tag Team

Jpark pro

Fish Tales

Taxi

TWD LE

Soccer Kings (Zacc)

Alien Star

I500

Shadow

Car Hop

Harley (Bally)

Mystery Castle

Stars

Batman - TDK

Party Animal

Genesis

• 4 more (A couple EMs - if theyre still working)

Subject to change numerous times. :wink:

Www.iepinball.com

4 Likes

A couple PATL spots have opened up… Sign up today!

See everyone tomorrow!

GL all! looking forward to the stream :slight_smile:

Why is Bob Matthews in the standings as “ineligible?” He wasn’t caught doing steroids or anything? :wink:

1 Like

Top 250 IFPA players are ineligible for the “B” finals, which takes the 17th through 24th players to reach the 25-point target. Derek and Cayle were in the same situation. We didn’t get it done this week. No 'roids for me, but I could’ve used a headlamp; it was so dark in there, I couldn’t see to make my shots on some of the games. At least one of the qualifiers was using a lamp.

2 Likes

yeah that was definitely a good idea… may need to bring one of those just in case…

1 Like

Two using lamps - Adam and Gerald. Does help see.

1 Like

Congrats to Ray, Escher, Johnny and Karl, and to all the folks who helped run the event!

7 Likes

Because of Covid and greek letters thereof, I had mostly lost interest in pinball, but this event brought it back!

It was nice to see everyone again. Thanks @pinbwzrd, @kdeangelo, and @jay. Such a fun variety of machines. Thanks @TeamCenterButton for running pre-tourney and sore loser’s tourneys. Thanks Riverside Game Lab for being a cool venue (minus the lighting!)

11 Likes

For anyone interested in trying out a headlamp, I use a Black Diamond 350:

It’s a simple, one button on/off and you can control brightness by holding the same button in.

I’ve been joking about the depletion of my rods & cones for decades now, but the struggle is REAL, lol, and a headlamp really helps a tremendous amount when there is low ambient light around and/or the game has dimly lit GI. There were only a couple games at the Pinlab where I needed to use it, and that was mostly because the location likes to turn off all their lights when open to the public for the ambience of it, which I understand. It was also AWESOME on Sunday, when the Pinlab agreed to keep the lights on for finals.

BTW, the tournament was awesome. The format is great and a lot more fair than typical one-game swiss pairings because the tiers converge nice and slow, but more importantly, when you get to the final few rounds, the best players have already finished, so they aren’t there to keep taking all the wins away from the rest of us trying to qualify. And as you would expect from any location maintained by Jim Belsito, Jay Collins et al, the games were super dialed and played just phenomenally, even if there were “too many” odd ball titles you won’t find anywhere else for my taste, lol.

Congrats to Ray for collecting all the bones in the end, and to Escher, Johnny and Karl, too, for playing great and making the finals from a very tough field. #TeamLefkoff will definitely be back next year.

cheers,

Escher’s Dad

12 Likes

I didn’t need it for most of day two.