PAPA 18 Strategies Wiki

Well then, color me surprised. :slight_smile:

1 Like

TOTAN: Try and get Lightning Lamp going while the Ruby is also lit. One of the rewards from this if Lightning Lamp is activated will be 3x Lamp Scoring, which multiplies all values from the mode by 3 and resets the timer. Once you have this lit, start Genie Multi-Ball and go for big points. Thereā€™s also a strategy where you can start Harem while in Genie Battle but Iā€™m not sure it works in PAPA.

Surf 'n Safari: Multiball is especially high scoring on this game. The Super Jackpot is an easy 30m if you know how to cradle well. Time out all modes (besides maybe Boomerang and Whirlpool Millions) as they are on very short timers in this table. Always try and get DOUBLE completed for 2x scoring. Complete as many Grids as possible because they award major points in end-of-ball bonus.

Godzilla: Read the BSD rulesheet :wink: but no, seriously, this is a Multiball stacking game like BSD. All Multiball modes are qualified at the left orbit. For each Multiball activated, a larger points bonus will be rewarded and the number of shots lit and value of the Jackpot will increase too. Activating all Multiballs also begins the tableā€™s wizard mode, Save New York. Size Does Matter may be worth it but I donā€™t know how major the scoring is in that mode.

Wizard of Oz: Try and stack as many Multiball and single-ball modes as possible. For each Multiball stacked there is a Super X playfield multiplier that increases for each one active, and mode scoring can just become lucrative with the multiplier. Just try not to activate Fireball Frenzy in a stack as it WILL become annoying when youā€™re shooting a major shot and progress gets ticked off. Rescue Multiball scores big too, especially the Mega Jackpot (but it sounds really hard to get so I wouldnā€™t count on getting it.)

Rolling Stones: On my experience Records Multiball is probably the highest scoring mode (4-ball mode with similar rules to Total Anhillation in AFM) but do whatever you feel like, there isnā€™t anything terribly unbalanced in this game.

X-Men LE: Go for as many Unique Combos as possible as they qualify Deadpool as a helper, which is extremely silly and help you easily win Villain modes. Gambit scores big as well if you know how to hit the bumper tf rom the upper flipper. Avoid starting Weapon X Multiball as there isnā€™t much to go for in it, it blocks out other modes, and it doesnā€™t score much. Go for Dark Phoenix if you can because it can potentially score big points.

Thanks for the write up. Us n00bs need this info :wink:

This actually works a little differently: you get 2x by starting any Crystal Ball multiball, except the 5th (last) one which provides 3x. Also, during any multiball, you get brief multipliers by playing more than one playfield at a time. Adding one upper playfield adds another X, getting balls active on both uppers plus the lower adds another X. I do not know if these Xs are cumulative or multiplicative. I do know the super X light flashes cyan for 2X, yellow for 3X, and also orange and green for additional levels.

Good advice and thanks! The top page is a wiki (you can edit by clicking on the green pencil in the top line). I will add these to the wiki when I have a moment, unless youā€™d like to drop them in.

Correct, that MB stacking is important in Godzilla. But incorrect that the left orbit qualifies all MB modes ā€“ it only qualifies Baby Zilla MB, amongst other awards. The left lane (one shot to the right of the left orbit) starts any qualified MBā€™s. For info on how to play Godzilla, check out Pinball101ā€™s helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDEujaDKlSk

I added some bits to the Rolling Stones section:

Super Combos are very lucrative (shoot the guitar targets to light combos, make a five way combo on the ramps and orbits, then pummel the center ramp repeatedly for ā€œSuper Combosā€ and big points). The final Records track (ā€œItā€™s Only Rock 'n Rollā€¦ā€) can be worth 50 to 100+ million when a multi-ball is stacked onto it. Donā€™t start Rock Star or Album multi-balls without stacking another mode or two (Licks + Records is ideal)ā€“these two main multi-ball modes arenā€™t worth much on their own. Get control of the game by forcing Mick into a set area of the playfield. He will not move back to notes that are solidly lit and forcing him to the far left orbit seems to be ideal, leaving both ramps, the records shot and the right orbit open at all times.

I was discussing TSPP with Bowen while watching his tutorial vid on the PAPA site and found out thatā€™s older code in that particular video. Can we touch on the differences in ROMs or is there a link to those revisions anywhere?

This may be a better question for Keith, but Iā€™m not sure how to tag someone here.

IIRC the only tournament differences between 4 and 5 are in 5 Clean the Garage will not give the same thing back-to-back, and the Kwik-E-Mart target advances digit scores correctly instead of always being 1,110.

The important part is the garage though because then you wonā€™t constantly get Light TV over and over. (It takes 2 garage shots instead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Edit: The readme should be on Sternā€™s site still, and should have extreme detail of everything you need to know for tourney mode.

1 Like

Thanks Dr. J! I appreciate the help!

Just put an @ sign before their username ā€¦ e.g. @Slamtilt.

Good stuff here, this plus watching the circuit finals is all Iā€™ll need.