OPDB: Open Pinball Database

I’d rather see it the other way around tbh. With Pinside accepting incoming links using OPDB IDs. OPDB is only storing IPDB IDs to make migrations for existing apps easy. They’ll become less useful in the future.

Nice. I had written a screen scraping api wrapper around IPDB. In place of that I can write it to interface with the OPDB

I wonder how many implementations of the IFPA API there are out there? I know I had written one for PHP when it came out, and @haugstrup obviously has one as well.

I’m actually using yours with one patch applied (using curl rather than fopen to retrieve contents).

Robin Lassonde wrote a nice one in PHP last year that I’d like to switch to because it has error handling in a way that suits Match Play better. Haven’t had time though. Her library is here: https://github.com/RobinLassonde/ifpaclient

1 Like

I have written a Windows app for setting up tournaments and format the results report. It looks up player data and arranges players based on IFPA ranking. And stuff.

Thanks for doing this. The Flipper Control system I wrote for the Golden State Pinball Festival required me to import ipdb data. Looking forward to converting to live data

my open source android app is still out there
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.perspiratron.ifpaprofile

the calendar functionality needs to be fixed. but you can search for players and their past results

First OPDB integration done! When adding machines to your tournament on Match Play Events you can now get a list of machines from the Pinball Map!

pinmap

If you tournament already has a location attached, it’ll be used and the intermediary step is skipped (you’ll see a list of machines right away).

Also note that Junk Yard is already selected when showing machines – this is because both PinballMap and Match Play uses OPDB IDs behind the scenes. The benefit is that Match Play knows when a machine has already been added to your tournament – even if you use a different name!

11 Likes

I started to add theme keywords such as “music” to some of the games. Is that an appropriate use of the keywords section? It’d be cool if there was a way to search based on keyword.

1 Like

Incredible update @haugstrup! Eagerly awaiting player ratings by machine era now :wink:

2 Likes

Pretty cool to see it powered by Laravel too! PHP for life!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@mwelsh I tacked the keywords on very quickly so they still need some work. I’ll definitely make them searchable at some point soon. Feel free to use keywords for whatever you want (even personal ones). That’s the only way to figure out what they’re useful for!

@spraynard That will be… some expensive database queries. But you have the right idea!

@arenowebdev It’s a wonderful framework (Match Play Events and PinTips also use Laravel under the hood). :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mwelsh still no keywords search, but I added a top-level menu item to see all keywords: https://opdb.org/tags

Would be nice to add a wiki styled game statistic list that goes further than IPDB and Pinside does. I am talking about game development team credits, listing game code updates, etc.Since IPDB isn’t wiki, I can’t fix errors that I see, while I can at Pinside.

I look forward to seeing where this goes!

I posed the question in another thread, but realized this is probably the better place for it:

Would it be feasible to add a field for a vector graphic that could contain a wire-frame diagram of each playfield with key shots like can be found in the Theatre of Magic Manual?

Of course someone then needs to generate these diagrams, but…

Since OPDB data is sent out of other software automatically the game data won’t be wikified. The risk of mischief is too large. But! If you create a user account you can send in a report whenever you see faulty data and one of the moderators will fix things up.

If you send in a lot of reports we’ll just make you a moderator so you can fix data yourself. It just won’t be open to the public to make changes directly.

As for adding more data: I’m open to adding more game data like code updates, team credits etc. but someone has to be responsible to adding and maintaining all that data.

It would certainly be feasible, but I’d want to see diagrams made before spending time implementing such a feature. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

this is amazing! can’t wait to use this for iScored!

now where did i put that spare time i thought i had…

A small gotcha: if I search for “Genie”, it thinks I’m searching for an OPDB ID and doesn’t match the machine name (https://opdb.org/search?q=Genie). If I search for “genie” in lowercase, it works as expected.

Thank you for your awesome tools, @haugstrup!

1 Like

I’ve made a special exception for “Genie” so the search will work now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another OPDB integration. PinTips now understands OPDB IDs and you can link to for example https://pintips.net/opdb/G4do5-MDlN7 to see playing tips for Attack From Mars.

I’ve taken advantage of this by adding a PinTips link from Match Play

8 Likes