O-Town Throwdown at the Ottawa Pinball & Gameroom Show - Sept 22-23

Join us September 22-23, 2018 for the 7th O-Town Throwdown at the Ottawa Pinball & Gameroom Show!

This IFPA-sanctioned event will be an unlimited, best game qualifying format on Saturday with PAPA-style match play finals on Sunday.

Everyone will get two (2) free entries with show admission. Additional entries are $3 each or 2 for $5, but that’s Canadian dollars, so it’s more like US$2.25 each or 2 for US$3.75.

When not playing entries, you can take advantage of dozens of pinball and arcade machines set on free play, visit the Pin History booth to learn about the origins of the hobby (complete with some classic games), explore vendor booths and the flea market, and even meet Dirty Donny! More information about the show at: http://www.ottawapinball.com/opgs

Details about the tournament will be posted on the Facebook event page: O-Town Throwdown at OPGS 2018

The rules are available here: O-Town Throwdown 2018 Tournament Rules

The following prizes will be awarded within Main Division and rounded to nearest $5 increments:

1st = 30% of Prize Pool
2nd = 18% of Prize Pool
3rd = 12% of Prize Pool
4th = 8% of Prize Pool
5th to 8th = 4% each of Prize Pool
9th to 16th = 1% each of Prize Pool

There’s also going to be a Women’s division for the top 4 women who do not make the Main playoffs!

The following prizes will be awarded to the Women’s finalists and rounded to nearest $5 increments:
1st = 3% of Prize Pool
2nd and 3rd = 2% of Prize Pool
4th = 1% of Prize Pool

Hope some of you can make the trip to join us!

Why does qualifying end at 6 PM?

I was worried about getting sufficient volunteers, but forgot there are some folks travelling a long way who probably don’t want to hit the road at the crack of dawn. I’ll extend it to 8pm.

1 Like

92%!

The other 8% is going to the Women’s division finalists (3% + 2% + 2% + 1%)!

I have to admit I struggled with the payout structure a little bit. In the past, everyone who qualified for playoffs got money. This year, it’s only if you make it to the quarter-finals.

The reason for this is I wanted the Women’s division to get cash prizes and I wanted the spread of the prizes to be sufficient that people wouldn’t be as tempted to propose splitting the pot.

I also didn’t want the top Women’s division player to get more than someone who made it to the semi-finals, but I wanted there to be an incentive for women to participate. We have an active women’s league, but a lot of those players don’t come out to open tournaments. My goal is to change that.

1 Like

Thanks for organizing! This looks great. Let me know if you need scorekeepers or other volunteers, some of the Montreal folks would be happy to help out I’m sure. -JB

1 Like

Thanks, Jordan! Here’s the link to the volunteer spreadsheet: O-Town Throwdown 2018 Volunteer Schedule

Feel free to claim any slots that aren’t filled.

There will be an hour of qualifying at the end exclusively for volunteers who donate at least two hours of their time (and anyone who donates a machine to the tournament).