Nervous ticks

I guess tics are physical actions/signs, yes?

When I’m waiting my turn, I will jig either one or both legs almost uncontrollably and drink far too much water (need to do something with my hands, I guess). While playing, I will flip a few times before launching the ball, adjust my glasses, try to loosen/stretch whatever feels tense (usually my neck, fingers and wrist) just to make sure there’s as little as possible to distract me during the game.

And the rotating of flipper buttons, too. But that’s more a thing I see as a habit than a nervous tic, I do that on my home machines too.

I think I need a bit of a “reset” action that I can do mid-ball, just to clear the mind so I can mentally get back to ground zero. Maybe I start bringing bottles of water to events :wink:

I think at Pinburgh this year you used a virtual bottle of water at some point. I thought that was pretty funny.

1 Like

I realized I needed one of those myself! Anxiety gets the better of me some games for one reason or another. I tense up, stand too close to the machine, make poor choices, and hold in my breath. :sweat:

When I spot that I’m doing any of those things, I try to cradle as soon as possible and take a couple deep breaths. Maybe look around the room. Recenter. It helps a bunch, especially if I had to sweat bullets to get that ball under control.

2 Likes

Breathing is key. A music teacher I saw says ‘take deep breaths and get drunk on oxygen.’ Exhale from your mouth as fast as you can and then relish the inhale.

1 Like

Bowen did it a few years ago after he was a game clear in finals at PAPA, but I’m sure he was taking the piss :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The insides of my ears always get super itchy when I get a multi-ball!