Museum of Pinball in Banning: permanently closing. All games being auctioned :(

Banning building was sold, games will not be staying there. We were out working on the machines just yesterday and were briefed on things. Situation is very fluid right now with some urgent contacting and searching in progress. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, both on the Museum and the Indisc side. Stay tuned.

Correction, building not sold - see John’s post below.

4 Likes

That is not true information. The building was not sold. We own the building along with 3 other buildings on the property, please don’t spread false information.

Thanks,

Johnathon Weeks

6 Likes

John is the final word on such things; apparently my information was inaccurate. The building was leased, not sold, but as I understand it the games do have to be removed for the new tenant in October. I’ve reached out to John to determine how to handle future information posts. I suggest you hold your questions for now while things get sorted out; I’d rather not have another misprint when we give you an update. John may or may not post updates or further corrections here himself; that’s his call.

The Indisc team is at work exploring our options should neither Banning nor Palm Springs be available. This caught all of us by surprise, too. I was just testing and tagging games in Banning for possible use at Indisc last weekend. We’re hoping John finds a solution but preparing for it if not. We appreciate the concern shown by the pinball community in the non-public messages we’ve received about this.

8 Likes

@museumofpinball what do you need in terms of sponsorship?

2 Likes

I completely understand that wires get crossed and messages get mixed. I don’t think BMU would purposely relay incorrect information. But it does seem to me that perhaps, along with people holding their questions, people could possibly hold back on reporting information unless they’re Mr. Weeks himself?

Personally, I’ve been to every Arcade Expo that’s ever been held at The Museum of Pinball; been to the one-offs like Pinball Madness during Halloween. Got a ton of merch from there - t-shirts, hoodies, pins, even a commemorative token. I’ve volunteered to help out. I’ve had friends come out from the East Coast just to check the place out. Heck, I’m even considering moving to Palm Springs if TMOP moves out there - that’s how serious I am about my love for the place. I really want to spend many, many, many more days flipping out, pressing buttons, spinning knobs and rolling trakballs there.

4 Likes

is that true information?

1 Like

Just saw this so very interested in what is in the future for the pinball side of things.

6 months til INDISC?

We’ve been working on it all week. Please stand by, when there’s something concrete worth mentioning, we’ll do so.

8 Likes

Any updates?

Nothing we can make public yet. John is working his end, said he’d prefer to make his own announcement when he’s ready. We’re working the Indisc end. We have 2 potential Indisc sites partially scouted, we’re meeting with the location principals soon. I can say MoP will not be hosting Indisc.

Bummer that MoP won’t be the host, but very relieved that INDISC is pressing forward. I wasn’t able to go the last few years, but besides Zapcon, it’s the next closest larger annual tournament to me.

Copy/paste from Chuck Casey post on Pinside. :frowning:

"Sorry it’s taken this long to provide an update but I didn’t have much to add until specific deadlines had passed and final decisions had been made.

Last night I was fortunate to have dinner with the Museum of Pinball owner and management team which included the owner John Weeks. Here’s what I can share:

All deadlines have passed to relocate, obtain a sponsorship, sell to one collector, etc.
Therefore, all the games will be auctioned in the upcoming months.
The official announcement will be fore coming.
You can bid online and/or in person.
The primary auction will take place in Banning at the Museum of Pinball.
Pins and vids are being sold via auction only. The collection is “locked” for the auction.
My next post will include auction details (dates, times, schedule, links, etc.)

To everyone who has ever attended one of our events, we thank you!
And a VERY special THANK YOU to everyone who volunteered at the Museum.

If you have questions please PM me. I answer all my PMs the best I can with the information I have.

Chuck Casey
Curator - Museum of Pinball"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate/page/4

2 Likes

This is all very sad, but I have a feeling TMOP and INDISC is going to do some Altered Beast-style “wise from yo gwave” type of new beginning. Here’s hoping!

After loosing the PAPA collection, now the Pinball community will loose one of the best, if not the best one in the world.

It is hard not to appreciate the generosity of the few individual that had made those available to the public in the first place, just the sight of these rows of machines was breath taking.

I really wish there was a way to preserve this collection, which is likely never going to be match again but I assume the difficulties were just too high. A very sad day for pinball.

6 Likes

When is the “last day”? Or is it officially closed already?

I’m asking for the sake of the Pinball Map entry for it. If it won’t open up at all to the public before the auction, then I’ll remove it from the map.

2 Likes

I assume the “last day” to have gone would’ve been during the one day April event. It only was ever really open for INDISC in January, Arcade Expo in March, and Pinball Madness in October.

1 Like

Link

i guess that makes sense but hammer price + 25% of various tax on rare museum pieces are going to pump out of reach for the 99%'ers

Did anyone buy anything at that auction?