Most entertaining games to use in a 3 day qualifying, World Championship Herb Tournament

No need to drain. You can light and start 6X without using the upper rollovers. If you shoot the multiplier shots from the left flipper (backhand), you can avoid hitting a major shot and keep your 10% skill shot in play. I haven’t tried this yet but I know others are doing it.

An all easy wiz mode lineup could be fun. Wiz mode (at least once) or go home. IM, lots of 90’s games, T3, Avatar.

How about endurance games? Instead of taking everything out of TSPP, let’s play it like how it comes out of the box. Would certainly need multiple copies :slight_smile:

Actually, when BoP was in B many years ago, only 3 people broke a billion. It was set that hard. Maybe it was just the times though, I don’t know. There was a secondary strategy - small wheel jackpot.

Based PAPA 19 A games:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula -no strategy change
Tommy -no strategy change
Whirlwind -no strategy change
Indiana Jones (Williams) Depends on how saucer well sticks
Dirty Harry -no strategy change
Game Of Thrones -no strategy change
Eight Ball Deluxe -lol
Cirqus Voltaire Would definitely focus on a super stack/ joining cirqus rather than plowing though RMs/ Juggler
Avengers -no strategy change
Party Zone - This would be an interesting one for discussion and really depends on how it is set up and or programmed.

2 Likes

Would one ‘cheese out’ until max JP value on mousin’ around before starting any MB?

I agree in principal with your assessment, but I got a small gripe with GoT and Drac. Last year, 1.5 bils got you 50 points on your PAPA-style (RIP) ticket, so I think just about anyone would take just about any four houses into HOTK and not go out of their way to try and light Tyrell and/or not finish Martell. You could also reasonably grind a Wall MB and second Blackwater as an alternate path to 1.5 bils, but there is really one, and only one way to get over 5 bils for Herb, and that is to cash in the second HOTK hurry-up at 5X, and by far the easiest chance to achieve that is to specifically take Lannister, Tyrell, Greyjoy and Stark* (*and yes, you could argue that Martell is a better option than Stark here because even though it’s 8 shots instead of 4, you avoid the Stark 20 second “distraction” on your way to the prize). So I think dropping the bomb on GoT requires a very specific, narrow path, whereas there were still multiple, safer paths to get a “decent” score last year.

Also, I think most could be talked into pulling the trigger on a double stack in Drac (and not live or die by the triple stack) in order to move from 200 mil level to 400 mil level and (50 PAPA-style (RIP) points) whereas with Herb, no way you grind over a bil without a triple stack or die…

1 Like

Very interesting topic! I would say Tron might throw a wrench in your strategy, at least a little bit, when playing for big score. Sure you’ll just do light cycle and quorra’s as much as you can, but eventually you’ll be near Sea of Sim, and you have to ask yourself along the way: Should I hit this Zuse target to try and beat the mode? Should I make sure to start double scoring before cashing in? Seems like the only way to get 200 mil + tron games is with a double max SOS collect

Another interesting one is Stern Batman, basically HAVE to shoot for multipliers, and HAVE to get 1 mil Bat Signal jacks

Huge hurryups would be in play on Stern Batman.

2 Likes

“Cash in a 120M song jack with 3x running? Nah . … better let it ride a little longer”.

5 Likes

All this talk of ludicrous scoring strategies is getting me actually pretty pumped!

3 Likes

I’d assume 1.29(+?) would be used in the future, so no more SJP hurryups starting at ~1b because nobody reset the game, and certainly no more 2b Stark round ramps. :wink:

still remains critical to have a good HotK round regardless

A very wise dude once said:

If you ain’t grand champion, you’re last.

2 Likes

I would still focus more on EOL until you randomly hit/ survive 7 disc shots for SOS to be a factor.

1.29. First game after a power cycle. YMMV.

#PlayBetter :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Adding two quick games to the mix:

Star Trek would become moderately more entertaining seeing how far people push their medal counts and 3 deeps before pulling the trigger on KM. The wrinkle of stacking that with the warp doubler could make for some beefy medal countdowns.

Would also be somewhat fun seeing people actually play Spider-man going for super hero and incorporating shot multipliers/modes versus just Doc Ock/Black suit all day long (even though there’s plenty of Doc Ock loving regardless to work on Goblin, SM, Venom, next Black suit, etc.).

3 Likes

Taking Baratheon instead of stark or Martell is better IMO. Takes 7 instead of 8 shots. Play as Greyjoy house so that once you beat Tyrell and stark house you can really crush WIC hurry ups and max your WHC MB supers. 5 plus billion can be had without any HOTK hurry ups doing stuff like this. Oh and sticking wall with WHC helps too. :slight_smile:

With no inlane/ outlane posts that is the ultimate do or die strategy in PAPA qualifying lol

The beauty of pump and dump! Haha

Johnny Neurotic!! Spinner gazillions! Risk/reward in a PAPA ticket, you drain after spinner million before hold bonus, you have to grind away for a decent score to not kill your ticket. In Herb, void, get back in line, and try again. Of course, with the PAPA Johnny Spinner ™, this may no longer be relevant.