Jersey Jack Marketing Emails

I’m not sure if I actually need to say it or not but please rest assured I wouldn’t scrape site emails.

6 Likes

For EU laws… opt-out must be free. Creating a tier just to exclude email sharing would steer you into trouble there.

“2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1, where a natural or legal person obtains from its customers their electronic contact details for electronic mail, in the context of the sale of a product or a service, in accordance with Directive 95/46/EC, the same natural or legal person may use these electronic contact details for direct marketing of its own similar products or services provided that customers clearly and distinctly are given the opportunity to object, free of charge and in an easy manner, to such use of electronic contact details when they are collected and on the occasion of each message in case the customer has not initially refused such use.”

While I’m not thrilled, gmail does a pretty good job at auto-filtering stuff into “promotional”, “social” tabs, like it did for the JJP email. I might be more annoyed if I was using an email that didn’t do this, but the spam/promo filtering features mean I probably wouldn’t use another email service at this point.

For sure opting out is absolutely free already, just email us. We will try to get something automatically setup through the profile update page so it’s easier.

The most likely path would be:

Opt-in → Eligible for all IFPA “stuff”
Opt-out → Not eligible for IFPA “stuff”
Opt-out → Eligible for all IFPA “stuff” with Premium membership

I normally complain loudly about spam, but today I’m feeling a little left out. :wink:

2 Likes

What about a donation button? I’ve always loved, personally, being able to give what I can when I can on my own schedule.

1 Like

We’ve tossed the idea around over the years, but with sponsorship dollars currently covering our organizational costs, taking in money from players has never been a line we’ve wanted to cross.

The donation campaigns we’ve run in the past have been directly tied to raising money for other organizations, like the GoFundMe with Pinball Outreach Project, or in previous years helping to raise money for Python, Oursler, Project Pinball, Gridiron Greats, etc.

A ‘general’ donation campaign for raising IFPA funds that we don’t necessarily need just seems weird to me. I would feel too much pressure to be needing to do something with those funds besides sitting on them as rainy day funds.

I’m like everyone else who donates their time and passion to the hobby in whatever positive way they can. I do it because I selfishly enjoy the IFPA stuff as a player, but also the insane amount of thanks and appreciation I get when I’m out and about at tournaments and shows makes it easy for me to want to keep doing it.

8 Likes

Bigger trophies for KME?

1 Like

The send KME to an international IFPA fund? lol

5 Likes

At least by my reading it seems JJP adding addresses from IFPA doesn’t align with Constant Contact’s email permission policy: https://support2.constantcontact.com/articles/SupportFAQ/1832

1 Like

Does “stuff” mean everything? Like…you don’t get to be ranked?

Interesting. For contraventions to their policy like this they suggest forwarding the email to abuse@constantcontact.com

Just send a tech to take care of my route for 2 weeks and I’ll go! :wink:

3 Likes

You can still be ranked, just not be eligible for things like SCS, IFPA WC, rewards program.

Hi @pinwizj,

Until there is an opt-out feature (which I actually think ought to be an opt-in feature), I’ve set up a special email address to be used just for mail from the IFPA and the 23 companies that my email address will be shared with.

Please change the email address associated with my IFPA profile (#8855) to…
EricWagGetsSpamFromJosh@gmail.com

Please also pass along my request to your sponsors to remove the email address currently associated with my profile from their marketing databases.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Cant you change it yourself via: https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/user-profile/ ?

IFPA is a volunteer organisation, I’m amazed at the amount of work that Josh, Brians et al do for free. Thanks for your hard work, guys. I’m willing to cop the occasional email from a sponsor to keep the IFPA alive and well.

6 Likes

I’d rather toss a couple duckets that way.

Whoops, that should have been ‘bucks’. Not sure what auto correct is on tonight.

1 Like

I’m with @wizcat… Life became much better after getting a custom domain and giving a different email address to each site/business… You can watch who’s inappropriately sharing your address and selectively shut down any addresses that have been compromised. Plus it may provide some extra anti-hacking protection when site user databases are stolen… Unique UID (email) and PW is more secure than unique PW but shared UID.

Plus it’s very fun to do this at brick and mortar stores. “Yes, my email address really is bobsfurniture@joe.blah.org … I love your store so much I made that my email!!!”

4 Likes

Are you guys really getting that much spam? About the only ‘spam’ that gets to my inbox these days is pinball spam. And I don’t mind pinball spam. I don’t read most of it, but I’m glad I’m getting it.

Spam filters are stronger than ever these days. Even my hotmail account doesn’t get much spam. I know I’m not the only one here that remembers RGP back in the 90’s. If you posted without munging your email address, you would get spam soon after. These days, between spam filters and norton (free from my ISP), I don’t give spam a second thought. My hotmail account that I’ve had for close to twenty years has been hacked exactly once, maybe 10 years ago.

I have to admit I’m a little torn here. For years it seemed to me like the younger generation was giving away their identity willingly. Many would post online using their full name while I stuck with phishrace (for which I occasionally got backlash). Maybe it was the facebook effect? Now it seems like it’s going back in the other direction. Folks don’t give out their ID as willingly. I like that.

1 Like