Is the server time off by ~20 minutes?

Has anyone else noticed post times are off by about 20 minutes? Once or twice I’ve found myself thinking I lost time while browsing the forum.

5:39 test

Lol, yep.

Can confirm.

Whenever I post something, it almost invariably says that it was posted 17 minutes ago, despite that logically being impossible. I never thought much about it until now.

Yes. I also get a warning that the site isn’t secure. I’m okay with that. We’re in the future and living on the edge.

1 Like

The server is on shared hosting so I don’t really have control over the time, although I never noticed this and find it hilarious. The SSL issue is just me being lazy, but yes I should deal with that at some point.

5 Likes

looks like server time is off by 37 minutes now (posted at 3:44 Eastern US)

it’s still significantly off. (posting this 3:54pm eastern)

almost a whole hour

this seems to be fixed now that discourse has been updated

1 Like

Any chance of fixing the SSL issue?

1 Like

you should not be okay with that. this site doesn’t use https, and thus your password is sent in plain text when you log in. This makes you extremely vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. HTTPS has been the standard for any password-based authentication for years and years, and this site’s refusal to use it is baffling.

i would strongly advise anyone to not use a password for this site that they use for any others (not that doing so is ever a good idea, but it’s particularly dangerous with a website that refuses to encrypt its POST data).

I’ve never deployed it, but for shits and grins I put together a proxy that snarfs discourse sessions. Again, I’d never actually deploy it, but I do wonder what could be collected by running it on an open ap at a tourney.