INDISC 2017!

Twitch.tv/iepinball

Link

1 Like

Awesome thanks guys, I’ll pass this along to a friend who wants to watch too.

18 of the top 24 qualifiers so far aren’t from Socal. And three of those Socal folks are ranked in the top 22 in the world. Wow. Talk about Murderer’s Row. Can’t wait for the finals.

Yeah, we should probably dump the unlimited Herb format. No one wants all these good players competing against each other at the same time.
d;^)

1 Like

Finals are going to be fun to watch. Thanks for streaming them!

What Twitch account will be streaming this?

This one. It’s on now!

2 Likes

Thanks!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Congratulations to Karl, Robert, Cryss, and Escher! I thoroughly enjoyed the stream.

6 Likes

Congrats and thanks to all! Preliminary UNofficial circuit groups are now up on the other thread.

Note on the B playoffs: Jay Collins won both Open “B” and Classics “B” - - nice job, Jay!

3 Likes

Huge thanks to @kdeangelo, @pinbwzrd, @BMU, all the volunteers and anyone else involved in putting the show on. I had a great time.

Sitting in the airport, waiting for my connecting flight that is delayed due to weather. That means it is time for my immediate, honest feedback.

Pros:

• Probably the best tournament setup in modern of any venue I have played in. Spacecous, screens on all games, bleachers (for standing on to get birds eye view apparently).
  • Games played great. When I first started playing the games I was worried the were going to play too easy and take forever, very generous on tilt bobs. In the end, I think the balance was just right.
  • Size was perfect for enjoyment. Queues never got crazy, prize pool was good, should max out base value. There was room for more people, and it was pretty casual and social.
  • Meet many new friendly people, and got to catch up with tournament players I am getting to know better.
  • Strong showing from the Canadians.

Now for the constructive criticism.

• No hot water
  • Paper towels became an issue, and garbage needed emptying.
  • Really in the middle of nowhere. It was beautiful view. Parking was easy. But I really feel you needed a rental car. Food options were not great even in a close drive (or I was doing it wrong)
  • Minor scorekeeper issues. I appreciate all the volunteers, and issues were minor. However, some scorekeepers didn’t really know how to deal with the queue resolution and skipping people. I saw cases where people where not there and they removed them manually instead of using the software as designed. I don’t know how much explanation people got, but this has been a common problem at many tournament I got to. Very inconsistent in terms of attentiveness and experience with software. Huge thanks to people like Tim J and @hisokajp who I saw jumping on scorekeeping outside their volunteer windows to help resolve backlogs.

Highlights.

• @kdeangelo save on WoF
  • Escher yelling at me when after I was wrong about what would happen to ballsave with space in physical lock on ghostbusters. Who asks a B player for rules advice anyway? Valuable lesson learned.
  • Playing well in classics finals. I got very lucky , and some of my opponents got very unlucky, but I didn’t feel completely outclassed.
3 Likes

After awhile you get used to this but I’ll say that classics is probably the most challenging area to be scorekeeping in for a first timer due to the quick turnover. With regards to the player queues, I thought there was a button to skip a player but I didn’t see it and was also struggling to remember how this worked. I’m sure it’s there and I probably missed it in the fury of “void and requeue’s” going on so hopefully it didn’t chap anyone’s ass too much while I was scorekeeping.

I also agree with @gammagoat above… games were very well setup and playable. I always appreciate when the tilts aren’t hair triggers in a big tournament. Why minimize (or worse, eliminate) such an important skill from play when there are other things one can do to keep game times down.

2 Likes

1 Like

I still don’t know how I tilted GB in the playoffs, especially when I was just beginning to start setting things up. :slight_frown:

1 Like

This is the part people were not coached on. After you enter a score, it will display a butter bar with the next player’s name, if they are standing there, let them start while you figure out what queue that last player wants to be added to. After that you are presented with a list of the queue, with all players in red. You are suppose to click the player who is going on the game. If the first player in the list is not there, you can click the second player, or third player. The first player will stay in the front of the queue until they are skipped for the third time, then they will be removed.

If the player does a void and requeue, it immediately goes to the queue screen and you should call the next player and confirm when they go on the game. This could certainly be written up nicely with pictures in a quick 1 pager for score keepers.

1 Like

This probably deserves its own thread, but to save those of you who are chomping at the bit to write up a Scorekeepers’ guide, Kevin Stone @alwysmooth already beat you to it (attached). So I’d suggest going with his, or if you want to improve on it, reach out to him and start with what he’s already got to save you some time.

Never Drains FAQ v2 (KStone).pdf (144.7 KB)

6 Likes

Note to self, everytime I think, “someone should write a concise 1 pager” I should instead think “Kevin has probably written a concise 1 pager”.

2 Likes

Note to self: Bowen was right about LiS being a bad tourney game :wink:

6 Likes