I’m looking for some suggestions for how to improve attendance in league.
Here is what happens currently:
- League standings are based on average score per game, so if you miss a week, nothing bad happens.
- A finals is held, but finals is for prize money only. The end of the regular season standings is what gets submitted for WPPR points. Because of this, people will often skip the last week if they are in a difficult group.
- If you don’t come to more than half of the league nights, you don’t count as having played.
- If you miss too many, you don’t get to play in finals (example: you must attend 6 of 9 to play in finals).
Things I think:
- I want to be flexible enough to allow absences. Things come up. People go out of town. Etc. I don’t like the idea that you just automatically drop in the standings due to an absence.
- I’d like to avoid the end of the season attendance drop from people who like their current position in the rankings and don’t want to risk falling.
- I play in another league that uses the same format, but it also lets you drop your lowest 2 or 1 nights if you have perfect, or near perfect attendance. The thing is, the drops only impact your seeding for the final tournament. What ends up happening is the bottom half of the A bracket who have imperfect attendance just swap spots with the top of the B bracket who have perfect attendance. This ends up making a harder path for those with perfect attendance…most of whom rightly belong in B (skill-wise).
If I were a teacher, I guess what I’m looking for is a way to get students to show up to class, without making attendance a component of their final grade.