Improved Ranking System ???

I’m a scrub lol. Thanks for that. Will see where I am now.

I vote we do the classics power 100 next. Maybe then I have a chance of pretending I am good at something.

1 Like

any chance we get a “total” column? it seems Trent has played against 3200 players (indirectly) in 3 years, am I reading this right?

If you add all Trent’s I through IV together that number sounds right to me. @Shep would have to be the one to add the total column :slight_smile:

Not quite. It means that the count of how many other (non-unique) Top 250 players were in events where Trent played in the past 3 years is 3200. 124 [not counting himself] at this year’s Pinburgh, 10-20 each at many of the Circuit events, random numbers elsewhere, all adding up to just over 3200. Zach might account for 20 or those 3200; I might be another 15 or so.

FYI, Trent’s “5 times or more” unique lifetime player count is now at 1470, i.e. there are 1470 different people who have been in the same tournament as Trent at least 5 times.

2 Likes

For anyone randomly interested the Hungarian Pitbull is blowing up T2 on David Mainwaring’s Facebook live.

POWER100 FTW!

4 Likes

Towards what this thread was originally started for? Is it an improved ranking system? Or can the Power100 ranking in some way influence the current ranking system in a positive way?

Based on the current ranking system, yes this is true.

Is that what it is for? Just giving a pat on the back to those people who “Don’t travel to play, but seem to be a solidly skilled player”. If that is the case, then it’s pretty meaningless no? Surely you wouldn’t spend the time on it if that is it’s only value?

[quote=“pinwizj, post:164, topic:3064, full:true”]

Added total, wppr rank and sorting.

Not in the immediate future, but it’s on my list. It’ll be on your profile page at some point, not sure if there will be a longer list outside the top 100.

1 Like

ShepERB! :slight_smile:

Is it an “improved” ranking system . . . I don’t know. I welcome the world of Tilt Forums to comment on that :slight_smile:

My opinion has always been strong on a performance/achievement based system, so while I can appreciate it as something that can highlight someone like the Hungarian Pitbull as one of THE BEST players in the world (which he is and proved to be even today during his Facebook T2 demonstration) . . . does he deserve to be RANKED as one of the best players in the world based on his achievement? My answer still falls on the ‘no’ end of the spectrum, but I can’t fault people for disagreeing with me on that.

It’s similar to the Tiger Woods analysis. He was ranked 1st in the world at the end of 2013, then 32nd in the world at the end of 2014. After only playing in 3 events the last 2 seasons, he’s now ranked 1137th in the world. Is he the 1137th “Most skilled golfer in the world” . . . I would hazard a guess that his lack of play has more to do with his world ranking, and less to do with it being an accurate judge of his current skill level.

So I guess my question back to you about your interest . . . besides qualifying for the IFPA WC, what other interest COULD you have in the system (outside of the ego boost)? What can we do with this metric that would increase your interest in what we’re doing?

I wouldn’t say it’s meaningless. I think it’s valuable enough that we added it to our main homepage as part of our ‘official’ World Pinball Player Rankings toolbar. I believe it enough as a metric more so than the Ratings calc or Eff% calc, both of which don’t show up on the main toolbar.

Based on the feedback we got after posting the announcement on our site, it’s added a layer of interest from players who want to get into the top 250, just to SEE what their POWER100 metric is. The fact we don’t even calculate it for anyone outside of the top 250 gives that carrot for people to want to ‘get in the club’. Same can be said for those that are actually on the POWER100 list. I had multiple emails from people asking, “I know you don’t POST beyond the top 100, but where am I at? 150? 200?”.

To me that kind of response has been really positive with respect to the level of interest in the metric. The IFPA Ratings system by comparison was met with the sound of a wet fart.

If the only value is creating an additional way to ego stroke some guys as being “THE BEST” at this game . . . I don’t think that’s meaningless. Outside of IFPA WC qualifying, that’s essentially what the WPPR system is anyway. It’s an ego stroke for some players but overall is mostly meaningless.

What

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=146

Krisztian is the answer to those hypothetical “what if” questions where you wonder if there’s someone out that nobody has ever heard that just blows you away talent wise. Zach and I just referred to him as the Hungarian Pitbull going forward because it’s an awesome name :slight_smile:

I met him for the first time at IFPA6 in London back in 2009, where I thought I met “every good player that existed”, and this kid blew me away. His financial situation leads him to not being able to play much (he’s only played in 12 events the past 3 years, and is still ranked in the top 200).

I happened to randomly catch some Facebook live action this morning on David Mainwaring’s feed filming some of the Austrian Pinball Open, with Krisztian in the middle of a game on Terminator 2. I joked it’s like getting the Loch Ness Monster on camera because this kid plays like 4 events a year.

Here’s the link to David’s FB page. The video is at the top of his feed:

Worth watching if you’ve never seen Krisztian in action.

3 Likes

I can’t find the video on that feed. Do you have a link to the actual video?

I’m like a 70 year old when it comes to surfing the internet and Facebook, so I couldn’t figure out a way to download the video or get a direct link to the video.

Perhaps someone else can post that link if it’s available.

I can’t see the video, presumably because Facebook doesn’t show the same feed to everyone? If someone has the link, I’d appreciate it!

maybe it’s because you’re friends with him and we aren’t? Might not be publicly visible

Here’s a random YouTube link from 7 years ago showing him lay some smack down:

1 Like

I’d hate to watch him getting Loopin’ Supers on GB… :slight_smile:

He stinks anyway.