Improved Ranking System ???

Krisztian is a serious player. Julio was another player who didn’t travel but was clearly very talented. He has obviously started to travel now and people know who he is. Both have very different styles, quite different to a lot of the top players that we see on camera a lot of the time.

A couple others who have fallen off the map, but who certainly know how to play.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=6784#pvp

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=6443#active

In fact I think David has signed up for the EPC, so that will be good to see him play again. Would be interesting to see where they would place on the POWER100, in fact would be awesome to see an all time POWER100!

most likely a private video one cannot see if you are not friend with him :slight_smile:

For those of you who can’t see it, I’ll just describe it to you, its this little Hungarian Pitbull, destroying the shit out of T2, he is nowhere near as clinical as when Raymond broke the Super Jackpot on T2. But his shooting for the skull off both the forehand and backhand is literally ridiculous. His recovery is immense, he is fucking good at pinball, he even checks his watch half way through, did I mention he is really good

1 Like

LMAO!

I noticed that, too. Was a good laugh.

Not sure if it was the case here, but in some European tournaments you have to finish your X# of qualifying games within a certain time block. If you don’t finish in time, the un-played games get a 0. There are definitely cases where you might choose to intentionally drain a crushing qualifying game if its taking too long, and you feel the score is good enough, so you have enough time to play your other entries.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember EPC doing that. It also made for odd game choices, e.g. which game can I blow up fastest if I get on a roll vs. which one am I most likely to get a good score on? I know I got a couple of zeroes on time, and others got more than I did. It was common enough that many of us qualified in spite of it. I still think it’s a non-optimal system, but I understood why they did it for perceived total-time-and-head-count constraints. And I think I remember Jorian draining a crusher game just to “move along” as you say.

True. It added an interesting element to Limited Entry single-player qualifying, because each player is in complete control over how long it takes them to finish their games. I recall at Belgian Open, that after ball 1 on GOT, after a good HOTK, I’d blown by the top score on the pin, and had just eaten up a significant amount of my qualifying time block, so I intentionally drained balls 2 & 3 to move on to the rest of my entries.

But in H2H round robin, I think this rule stinks, because either player could be at the mercy of their opponent in taking forever on a game he/she is destroying, with no recourse to move things along (other than forfeiting or intentionally draining when it’s finally their turn).

1 Like

Here’s the link to David’s FB page. The video is at the top of his feed:
https://www.facebook.com/david.mainwaring.515

Worth watching if you’ve never seen Krisztian in action.

Post made public!

Regards David

1 Like

Link straight to video may be best. Try this: https://www.facebook.com/david.mainwaring.5/videos/1429013470479671

2 Likes

Never seen it employed outside of single-player qualifying. Have you been in a round robin with a rule like that? Insanity!

(I mean, technically Short’ys kinda had this rule at one time. The TD Larry would often threaten both players in a match with disqualification if they didn’t “hurry the fuck up” if they were blowing a game up for an hour or two blocking the double elim bracket. lolz)

1 Like

The Retro Arcade Open in Copenhagen that we played in (on the Wednesday before IFPA14) had this rule. I had multiple matches in the H2H round robin phase with catastrophic malfunctions result in me being one of the last people to finish all my matches. And toward the end, I was warned that any match that didn’t finish in time would be counted as a loss for both players. lol

1 Like

5 Likes