IFPA WC cut line?

Semi-related, I think this is the first time since I’ve been paying attention to the rankings that there aren’t any Swedes on the front page.

Anyone know the last time this has been the case? @BMU?

They dropped off a month or 3 ago; I’d have to check my archives for exactly when. But AFAIK, it’s the first time in a couple decades; at least one of Jorian, Jorgen and Mats has always been there in the past.

1 Like

I blame the global dollar fee . . . oh shit that hasn’t been implemented yet.

For reference, see above.
IFPA15 (Canada) - Rank #66

I don’t recall the cut line for IFPA16. @pinwizj?

IFPA16 cutline ultimately ended at Rank #63.

At first posting, it was Fred R. at 48th I think.

A key element is not just how many last minute cancellations there are but how many people just outside of the cut show up anyway “just in case” as was true this year at Pinburgh. If you’re 20 spots out but 3 come open and only two of the 19 ahead of you appear, you’re good. If you’re 5 spots out and 3 of the 4 show up, no.

How far back are you and how many of those in between you and getting in live close enough to show up matters.

So I’m trying to read through how all of these qualifications work, and the above information, and I’m confused :thinking::joy:. I thought the rankings came from the overall - but in Bob’s comment above he send to be referring to country rank.

I am 56th overall and 28th US - I have no idea if I’m bubble/have no chance/definitely in :rofl::rofl:

If you end the year at 56th I think you may fall below the initial cut but have a decent shot at getting in once people start to cancel as the event gets closer.

I’d guess bubble (eventually).
I think the initial cutline (as of close of registration – not as of the actual event) will be similar to last year’s #48. I’m guessing #43-45.

But there are always some cancellations (though much fewer as of last year due to new cancellation policy), and you’re in luck that – as of 12/27 rankings – there are only 4 N. American players between 46th and your spot. If there are relatively last-minute cancellations, it’s more likely that N. American players fill in those vacated spots than Euro/rest-of-world players, given the N. American location this year

This page is a good visual representation of how it works. You’ll see something similar in mid January for the IFPA17 player list.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/world_championships/registration/2019/

Thank you much everyone - guess I’ll cross my fingers and wait :joy: Pinball is too stressful.

Just go win a 25 point event this weekend and move yourself up to 50th to help your odds.

So there is a tournament in San Diego Saturday - we just need a few of you guys too fly in for the weekend :joy:. I’m sure some of you guys are missing the sun by this time - plus a have the comfiest couch :yum::rofl:

2 Likes

No, referring to overall rank but observing that geo proximity affects waitlist show-ups or desire to be on it. I’ve been on waitlists before and whether or not I show up “just in case” depends in part on how cheap or convenient it is to do so in addition to my perceived chances.

Well the deadline has passed and it looks like Elliott Keith got the last spot above the cut line at 64th. That’s definitely deeper than I expected it to go.

Only 30 country exemption spots were claimed out of what I believe was a possible 44 maximum. So that makes me wonder, why the low turnout of players outside North America? Lack of an accompanying large tournament? No announcement of pre-tournaments leading up to the main event? Something else?

@pinwizj 15 participating countries is the fewest since…?

So many world championships so little time…

4 Likes

I know some of them opted for Indisc, Pinburgh or both in lieu of IFPA.

Would like to know if any pre-events are in the works.

Thank you to all of those that declined.

1 Like

Probably since IFPA11 in Denver? The old results are all available if anyone wanted to look all that up.

There will be pre events.