IFPA Classics Tournament Rankings

Works for me. Pre sys 11 it is.

You can say the same about System 9 as well which is why I never put them in. But honestly as long as it is clear not a big deal.

CI always like the standard EM/ SS/ modern split, but getting reliable tournament-worthy EMā€™s is getting really hard. So I suppose a SS split is in order. You could go by CPU.

Early SS;

WMS System 3-9
Bally AS-2518-X
Stern MPU 100/ 200
Gottlieb system 1/ System 80/ 80-A

Late SS:
WMS System 11
Gottlieb System 3/ System 80-B
Sega/ Stern Whitestar
Bally 6803

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m missing something, but you get the idea. The nice thing about sorting this way is that you can go to IMDB and quickly determine where a game fits.

You should split up by 80/A/B. No way stuff like Time Line and black hole belong in ā€˜lateā€™ SS

Agreed. Edited post.

The last several posts show why this is a tough nut to crack. I think thereā€™s general consensus that early SS belong in ā€œClassics,ā€ but later on is less clear. DMDs are pretty clearly out, so we have this window of a few years of SS machines with System 11s and such where thereā€™s wiggle room. I like the CPU idea, not sure if Iā€™d make the same cut.

What about ā€œany game without multiballā€, or, by extension, any game before Black Knight, or 1980

Multiball goes way back. Think Fireball and Nip-It, among others. Just not as common back then.

Eh, I stand by Black Knight being the cut off. It was the first game that was 50 cents after all!

1 Like

What about games like Cyclone that arenā€™t multiball but are way later?

Where are you getting that 50 cents number? Even many EMs could be set to 50 cents, itā€™s just pricing.

Iā€™ve commonly heard that it was Black Knight or Black Hole that was the first game set at 50 cents at the factory.

Might as well include papa A div in that classics rankingā€¦

:rofl:

3 Likes

I think the list above it a solid start and you can list the other machines that should be excluded from that, more than likely it is probably a very small list of exceptions. If you find you have a lot of exception then you get add another category like system 9 or such and list the exceptions on the Classics list. Honestly not that hard once it is fully documented. Setting a standard helps TDā€™s greatly because they will now be able to say if Classics games are in their main banks or if a tournament is truely a Classics tournament.

1 Like

Why set a standard for classics and not main? If itā€™s decided that itā€™s every game before sys 11, then for modern you must use sys 11 and newer.

If it is a modern tournament then one would assume you canā€™t use the machines off the Classics list?. If your tournament is a Main tournament why couldnā€™t it not encompass both. If it is a Classics Tournament it should only have the Classics that are on the designated list.

1 Like

How often is the main division labelled ā€œmodernā€ vs ā€œmainā€ or ā€œopenā€?

Almost never. But as I think @cayle would agree, if youā€™re having a classics tournament, why is the main tournament using classics games? Ever seen an EM in main of a herb tournament?

Iā€™ve always taken the other tournament at big shows as being non-classics. Maybe Iā€™m wrong. Hereā€™s to Dipsy Doodle being at the next big herb event.

Little Chief in PAPA20 comes to mind.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Just thought that modern was implied. I guess not. Carry on.

That was in PPO 2017, ironically!

2 Likes