IFPA Mobile App, Available on Android and iOS - Community Discussion, bug reporting, etc

Thanks to both of you. The effort is appreciated.

Version 2.3.1 of the IFPA Companion App is now live in the iOS App Store. Google Play version awaiting approval but should be released soon.
Player Search moved to the Rankings Page
Championship Series moved front and center
Championship Series now available for ACS and Women’s CS.
Championship Series for an individual Player is fixed.
Country flags repaired.

One of the side effects of these changes is we don’t have historical NA Championship Series data with these new endpoints, yet. So only 2022 data is available.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Version 2.4.0 is available for iOS. Android coming soon, fixing some display bugs. This version has deep linking so that if you follow a link to a player page or tournament result it will open in-app.

Also; players you’ve viewed are available in spotlight search.

8 Likes

Happy belated new years, everyone. Some info about the IFPA app: I’ve been working on an update using Microsoft’s latest cross-platform tech called “MAUI”. It’s mostly so I stay current with what the community in cross-platform apps is doing, so I don’t get rusty. But also because Microsoft eventually will stop supporting Xamarin and move to MAUI, and I want to make sure the app continues to get releases because eventually as android and iOS evolve, the apps have to be released to support that.

However, there’s a lot of bugs in the new platform so its been slow going. I know there’s a few outstanding bugs in the mobile app and fixes are in the works, but I’m not going to patch the old app with them. So its kind of a waiting game as I work around bugs. tl;dr an update is coming this year for the app to hopefully make it less buggy and easier to use but its blocked a bit by the new framework so I’m not sure when its coming.

My goal is to always keep this app free, have it be the ‘official’ app with support from the IFPA and the players, and always have the source code available so others can build off it. Please feel free to contact me directly, use github or tiltforums or even PMs to continue reporting bugs and asking for features.

Thanks everyone. I’m so happy things are more open than they were two years ago, and that we’re playing and competing again. Hoping to see you all at events soon!

10 Likes

Is anyone with an android device interested in beta testing the next release? PM me your email if so

Today I’m excited to announce that version 3.0.0, the culmination of six months of part time work, has completed. Migrating the framework was an important step in keeping the app up to date and on the latest frameworks. Mobile devices and their operating systems shift constantly, so mobile apps need to be updated as the platforms they’re on change. 3.0.0 is available in both app stores.

Release 3.0.0 - Migration of codebase from Xamarin Forms to .NET MAUI

Improvements

• using consistent icon set
  • improved support for accessibility font sizes
    (@neilmcrae I’m sorry it took me this long to get there! you will have to restart the app after setting accessibility sizes for it to work)
  • tournament results info will now display TGP booster percentages
  • Reduced network calls for calendar pages
  • Improved Settings Page Design
  • Fixed a bug where unranked players would show 0th instead of “Not Ranked”
  • ListViews converted to CollectionViews in most cases to improve performance
  • Reduction in installed app size

Regressions

• Deep linking no longer working correctly (to be addressed in a future release)
  • RefreshViews temporarily disabled (pulling to refresh)
  • Empty View text disabled on Player Search Page due to MAUI bug

This took a lot longer than I thought it was going to take, but I’m happy to have it over the line. Some other improvements include github actions support, so the product can be built and signed directly from github. As part of this initiative I’ve archived the old git repository. Issues are welcome and I’ve decided to open up reviewers/beta testing slots, so reach out with your email if you’re interested.

If you find the app awesome, and want to support its development, I’ve set up github sponsorship. I still don’t have a physical android device or a few other things that would make development a little easier.

Thanks to this awesome community. I know the app is far from perfect but I hope people find it valuable. Yes, I know the notification system is a little too sensitive. I’ve got plans for that too. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Hi! Sorry, im the one that wrote the google review. What i meant by tournaments not loading, is that basically everytime i click on an event in the calendar, nothing loads, no details, no map, not even the name.

1 Like

Hmm. So on the list page you need to select the item in the list. Tapping the pin on the calendar simply scrolls the item into view on the list.

The fact that I had to explain it means I did a bad job with the UI/UX design. Should tapping the pin go straights to the event?

I like that it scrolls to the event. Since the map view is small, there is no room there to see all the information you might want (like the date).

One thing that could also improve the map view, is to show how many events are “hidden”, since you might otherwise miss events when zoomed out and never zoom in since you don’t know they are there. Maybe a small number next to the pin?

I actually came to post another request. As the WPPR 6.0 will be factoring Efficiency % much deeper, it would be really helpful if I could see my eff% on the results page, next to each event. As it goes now I have to click into the event, find the total WPPRs, then divide my WPPRs earned by the total available to figure out that eff% for me. And since it’s looking like the 6.0 changes will be retroactive, some people will be looking to improve their eff% immediately.

Thanks for the great app! I would definitely consider paying for it!

1 Like

Hey Jokton! That’s good feedback. The IFPA api would have to return the efficiency results per event for me to do that. I am going to add a GitHub issue and see what’s possible, and ask Brian if that’s coming.

1 Like

Thanks @Richthofen ! I don’t think you need @Shep to help with this, to do the calculation, you need the players WPPR result for an event, and divide that by the “Tournament value” for the entire event. So if you take me for example, Player 47152, and look at my latest active event “ECS Switzerland”, my WPPR haul was 15.94, divided by the total “Tournament value” 149.73, so 15.94/149.73 = 10.645% Efficiency. If that Eff% value could appear on the “Results” table view, between the WPPR value earned (in this example was 15.94) and the date. It looks like there is enough space there to put that value (could be truncated of course to 10.65%). Does that help?

1 Like

Yup, thanks for the clarification. Will work on this for the next release. I still might need @Shep 's help because in order to get Tournament Value you have to query each tournament endpoint directly; the “Player Results” API call does not return tournament value. if a user has over 100 tournaments that would mean a huge amount of API calls.

2 Likes

Would anyone be interested in an Android (and later iOS) widget to display rank right on the android “desktop”?

1 Like

Yes IF you could choose between which ranking showed up. Main, Country, Women’s Open, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @timballs … for sure I would love to let you switch rankings. Right now the player endpoint only returns Main rankings. I talked to @Shep about this before but I’m pretty sure the country, women’s, etc delineations are separate views and so it could get expensive to return them. If I got the right endpoint for those, I would definitely add the ability to customize the widget.

I ended up shipping this morning version Android 3.0.3 which contains the Android widget. I know its not as useful as it could be, but when/if the API offers the ability to look up an individual player’s rank in other ranking profiles (Main, Country, Women’s Open, etc), I promise to offer support for it.

4 Likes

New version of IFPA app is being released today. It offers notifications for new tournaments added to the IFPA calendar for your search radius, which is why I’m posting here. It’s off by default but I think some people might find it useful.

• Add notification option under settings to allow notification of new tournaments added to user’s calendar search location
  • Restore deep linking functionality
  • Restore App Indexing / Spotlight on iOS
  • Swipe to Delete on Favorites screen
  • Several UI fixes

Release 3.0.5 - New Tournament Calendar Item Notifications, Bug Fixes · edgiardina/IfpaMaui (github.com)

4 Likes

@Richthofen .

Here is a video of the “janky” scrolling of events on my iPhone 14 pro max. When scrolling down the UI jumps around to it’s hard to actually scroll and check out dates. You can also see it got stuck at the bottom and when I try to scroll up it keeps putting me at the bottom of the list.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

What device are you on? And what is the miles / location in the filter for the calendar? TY

Hmm. Can you also confirm ifpa app version number (in about page) and iOS version number?

I am on iOS 17 beta and iPhone 12 Pro and do not see the behavior . I can try the app in a 14 simulator tonight.