How to prepare for Pinburgh?

how many trucks are taking them over? i still can’t believe this move is happening!

how many days are you giving yourself to get things dialed after the move?

This whole effort is completely bananas. Hats off to the PAPA crew for being crazy enough to dream it up and smart enough to work out the logistics. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

As I understand the plan (I’m just volunteering around edges), ReplayFX gets access to the convention center at noon on Monday. Movers are going to shuttle machines (with legs on) between Carnegie and downtown pretty much continuously until they are done. PinBurgh machines go first and will be moved into bank position by teamsters, then setup, leveled and verified (machines have all been tested in Fight Club tournaments for the last few months). Competition arcades and free play machines follow PinBurgh machines. Madness. Wonderful, wonderful madness.

3 Likes

one week!!!

2 Likes

Will their be any sort of seating brought in?

I’d assume so since they have that picture of the chairs all stacked

Those chairs get stacked like that anyway, just to get out of the way when no event is taking place.

Now that it’s over, in hindsight the best preparation would have been: Buy a small folding stool and an anti-fatigue mat you could take from game to game :wink:

3 Likes

I bought a folding stool at Academy Sports last Tuesday for $6. My feet thanked me.
But I must admit, I still spent quite a bit of time standing to watch/learn how each pin was playing.

1 Like

I think I need to start taking up running marathons in order to prepare for Pinburgh next year!

2 Likes

You should just be tournament director, then – Doug Polka walked more than 90 miles in the setup and execution of ReplayFX. I was closer to 50 miles total, with 12 and 11 miles on the two main tournament days of Pinburgh.

3 Likes

Segways for everybody!

1 Like

Doug actually spent a lot of time using a scooter to get around … hm, I wonder if that counts toward the mileage. DISQUALIFIED

Elizabeth @chesh posted that she walked over 60 miles for the weekend, 136,000 steps.

1 Like

From Monday to Sunday I was just shy of 150 miles walked.

Chairs in the aisles makes it hard for the TDs and Techs to efficiently get where they need to be. We can look at possible solutions if we remain at the convention center.

3 Likes

Doug: Perhaps have chairs set up in the pin aisles in small groups of 4 (2 chairs side by side, 2 facing each way), so that there is plenty of gap between chair groups. You could also set them up in groups of 4 or 2 at 45-degree angles to allow for space to walk between them.

Thanks for being open to suggestions. You and your team did a fabulous job. I can’t believe how quickly techs and/or tourney directors responded to each time we turned on one of the light poles to request assistance. Impressive!

http://www.leaderpromos.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=66101

Custom print the PAPA logo on there and include it in the VIP signup package, or as an option for players when they register for Pinburgh. I’d gladly pay the extra $6 to unzip my own personal mini stool for each session.

3 Likes

IFPA towels, PAPA stools. This is getting serious.

1 Like

This is pretty general tournament prep, but Pinburgh made it painfully aware that I need to practice more on EMs/Early SS, and games with tight tilts. I also need to practice general patience. Near the later rounds, I slowed down my games and played very methodically. These were among my best rounds, and they won me a spot in the playoffs (which I blew in round 1).

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with the patience stuff. I found a groove at Pinburgh this year and found myself in much better control of what I was doing. On EMs, I discovered I was crouching down and concentrating on the ball travel so I could execute a bump or live catch to get into a flipper trap and set myself up. Very important to be in control on those games.

It also helps to be situationally aware of what game you are playing and in what order, for lock-stealing games like Elvira or Jokerz. Sometimes going for multiball on those is risky as you can easily gift your opponent(s) a free lock or two.

2 Likes