Hey look... an elephant

I think this was meant as more of a philosophical query versus a technical question :slight_smile:

I hit my Comcast bandwidth cap before I finish loading the html on papa.org. :-p
There’s a huuuuuuge (1MB) html table hiding on there.

If you have anyone who is competent and can help with web development for free, let me know.

Consider your concern from our point of view; PAPA, which is really the Replay Foundation, is run by a small group of part-time employees and volunteers, which means in several cases the person working on one project is only incidentally involved in a different project. As the Replay Foundation grows, and FX becomes a larger event and consumes more resources and time, this “problem” is only going to get worse. Short of ceasing to grow, there’s no way to stop it.

As it stands, I receive every single e-mail that comes through both the FX and PAPA.org websites. I answer 85% of them myself and forward the others to the people who can best answer the question. I will never rely on forums as a primary form of communication with any community, because between the pinball, arcade, console, and other FX side-event-type-activity forums, there are too many threads to monitor. At some point, the wagons have to be circled, and if people want to contact our organization, they have to go through the channels our organization offers for that purpose. Otherwise, monitoring forums would take up over half of my day. And to the people who suggest we focus solely on pinball, I would point to the loads of people we have introduced into the pinball community through our outreach efforts as proof of value.

If this situation means there is no “face” of the Foundation, or some of the tight-knit family good 'ol boy atmosphere is lost, then it is a necessary evil associated with our work expanding the base. To put it a different way, when you have a hand in six different communities, 10 different forums, Facebook users, Twitter users, and people sending you anonymous letters via regular postal mail, you have to eventually force people into using a standardized access point for communication.

mhs

6 Likes

What is Facebook? Haven’t heard of it.

1 Like

Consider yourself lucky.

4 Likes

We use similar logic as yours with Pinball Map. If people want to contact us, do so through our site. Want to read news? Hit the blog. etc. We have some automated updates on Twitter, a dope thread on tiltforums, but jacknothing on Facebook (unless a local admin has something) or any other forum. We’re just two people - and like you we don’t have the time to monitor too many points of communication. Plus some of those forums are toxic.

2 Likes

Well said Mark. Full respect. FR

Always nice talking with you, Fred. Take care.

Who are these luddites?

I guess we’ll never know if they’re anonymous. Are the words made up of cut out letters from newspapers?

3 Likes

I don’t want to even speculate on that one. In all of the strange things I’ve seen come across the wire at PAPA over the years, this one surprisingly doesn’t even register that high.

1 Like