Help a newbie - registering a super selfie league with IFPA

Awesome. Thanks Gene. That’s what we will do.

Hey all,

So with my final I just made half the finishers the A div and half B div. We had 18 people enter the comp and then on the day exactly half of the finishers turned up.
So we had 9 people, and all of the finishers from B div got bumped to A because of no shows.

Because there was 9 of us we played in 3x3 player groups. Each group played a round of 3 games, then groups were switched up with 3 rounds over all. So each player played 9 games on the day. PAPA style points gave us final positions.

So my question is, do all 18 players add to the base value? or do eliminated players not count?

The way I do it for ours is that all A division finalists (this includes the alternates that show up for finals) get listed in their finishing position from finals. The remaining players then get listed below them based on their qualifying position.

That’s how I do tournaments as well. Any no shows get bumped and replaced with whoever is left, going down the rankings

Thanks for the reply guys. I think its sorted now.

Ive ran multiple tournaments but im a league / super selfie newbie and would like to get one setup at our local barcade/game bar that opened up. I have a paid account to matchplay.events so I plan to use that to facilitate.

These typically run like a month long Herb with one finals at end of month? We take top 50% of qualifiers to finals and can do a typical PAPA finals format?

Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks

That’s what @echa is doing in Oakland and @genex is doing in San Francisco. One long tournament for 3-4 weeks and whatever finals format you like the best.

in the same or different locations ever week, that’s a different twist :slightly_smiling:

ok thanks, I’m going to submit event to IFPA and create it in matchplay.events and see what I come up with!

Two questions:

1. This is a general IFPA finals question… Where specifically does it mention you must take top 50% to finals of any event?
    I see it here: http://www.ifpapinball.com/wppr-formula-change-to-v5-2-for-2016/

2. When it comes to the finals is it customary for the participants to pay an entry fee? What is the recommendation here?

thanks!

It’s not a requirement, but if you want the qualifying portion of your tournament to count as ‘meaningful’ towards TGP, that process has to eliminate at least half the field.

2 Likes

Our finalists don’t pay an entry fee and I’m pretty sure that’s the norm, but if your players don’t mind paying $5 or something to bump the pot a little, I don’t necessarily see there being anything wrong with that.

1 Like

Is there a way to avoid participants hanging onto their scores/pictures till the end of qualifying period? It has been suggested resetting the high scores on the games used could help with this but I’m open to feedback on that and any other suggestions.

thanks!

Level 257 league in Chicagoland just started putting up post-it-note-like thingys with pac symbols on them that need to be in the picture for your score to count. Entries are not accepted some time after the stickers change (12-24 hours?).

Yes, sandbagging is a perfectly valid strategy, but it’s not much fun and that’s why they went this route. More about fun than perfect competition.

4 Likes

In the San Francisco Selfie League photos have to be submitted within 12 hours. Match Play Events displays the time the photo was taken (as well as when it was submitted). It can’t grab it from every photo, but it helps a bit. You can see an example at the bottom here: https://matchplay.events/live/gk80/selfies/29185

1 Like

I discovered on my iPhone 6 if I use the camera app and take a picture (having it save to my phone) and then upload it, the time stamp attribute is added. If I take picture via entering my score through the site the time stamp attribute isn’t added. I assume saving it to my iPhone first adds that attribute and adding it directly through the matchplay site doesn’t?

Some additional newbie questions from me:

For qualifying to count towards TGP for IFPA points and I have qualifying setup on 5 machines. If one of the machines break or gets replaced, I’m ok with using another machine as a temporary or permanent substitute? I’m not sure exactly how the matchplay software would handle this but I assume it would figure it out… :slight_smile:

The same preface w/ 5 games for qualifying and counting towards IFPA points. Is it a requirement the selfie pic includes the persons face or is that set via myself the TD? Personally, I’m ok with folks just submitting scores without a face pic.

thanks!

TGP is based on the amount of data used in determining your qualifying position, so if you are taking your best score on 5 machines to determine your qualifying position, then that’s the number used. If you add a 6th machine to replace a broken machine, but still take your ‘best 5’, the TGP would still be based on 5.

There’s no requirement for it to actually be a selfie. With the person’s face or without, it’s still an “unverified score”, which will be some of the verbiage used for a WPPR v5.3 rule change coming down the pipeline :wink:

1 Like

OK… I’ll bite: what’s the concept behind the rule change? “Unverified score” qualifying games won’t be allowed to count toward TGP, or will count less?

You could have stopped right there :wink: