Heads-Up Pinball Championship . . . 2018? 2019?

Updated roster as of this morning. We had an overnight addition and an overnight cancellation, but the seeding did change slightly:

1 Raymond Davidson
2 Trent Augenstein
3 Andrei Massenkoff
4 Karl DeAngelo
5 Bob Matthews
6 Johnny Modica
7 Tim Sexton
8 Fred Richardson
9 David Peck
10 Robert Hooton
11 Craig Sengstock
12 Sal Ayoob
13 Raymond Ashby
14 Sean Stewart
15 Deborah Tahlman
16 Dan Newman
17 Jeff Rank
18 Tom Neighbors
19 Steve Strom
20 Mike Lund
21 Marcus Amith
22 Ashley Resurreccion
23 Bradin Wilhelmsen
24 Garrett McCarty
25 Patrick Mueller
26 Andrew Mueller
27 Andrew Moskowitz
28 Chris Herrick
29 Dana Martin
30 James Hastings
31 Alyssa Rex
32 Chris Wren
33 Keith Ipock
34 Peter Vibar
35 Myles Grosovsky
36 Daniel Golin

When is the broadcast scheduled to kick off?

1 pm local time
https://www.twitch.tv/events/QKAlIcmARSmBNBd7TWRndQ

3 Likes

Bracket updated

I think it’s clear but was the seeding done with pure IFPA ranking?

Yep

Bracket doesn’t seem right. … Johnny as 19 seed? Andrei as 23?

Fixed

2 late signups. Updated seeding:

1 Raymond Davidson
2 Trent Augenstein
3 Andrei Massenkoff
4 Karl DeAngelo
5 Bob Matthews
6 Johnny Modica
7 Tim Sexton
8 Fred Richardson
9 David Peck
10 Robert Hooton
11 Craig Sengstock
12 Sal Ayoob
13 Raymond Ashby
14 Sean Stewart
15 Deborah Tahlman
16 Dan Newman
17 Jeff Rank
18 Tom Neighbors
19 Steve Strom
20 John Barker
21 Mike Lund
22 Marcus Amith
23 Ashley Resurreccion
24 Bradin Wilhelmsen
25 Garrett McCarty
26 Patrick Mueller
27 Andrew Mueller
28 Andrew Moskowitz
29 Chris Herrick
30 Dana Martin
31 James Hastings
32 Alyssa Rex
33 Chris Wren
34 Keith Ipock
35 Peter Vibar
36 Myles Grosovsky
37 Daniel Golin
38 Gary Barker

“Sure, I’ll sign up for $50. Wait, you gotta shoot what to do what?” My money’s on Ray Ray or Karl.

I have $50 on Polka. He’s waiting 9 more minutes to sign up :wink:

2 Likes

Hard not to pick Andrei in this format. Speed kills!

1 Like

Live now.

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

1 Like

Four no-shows, DQ’d after 25 minutes:

Robert Hooton
Bradin Wilhelmsen
Andrew Moskowitz
Dana Martin

Opponents given automatic wins.

Damnit! I bet my house on Hooton FTW!

I thought you bet on Polka?! You fair weather cheerleader.

2 Likes

I own two houses. Check that … I OWNED two houses.

1 Like

Karl DeAngelo is the West Coast Josh Sharpe.

1 Like

I can see why BBH shifts from Treks to Adventures once they get down to the final 2, because you get that extra time to enjoy the chase for the championship.

Outside of the Modica Plague hitting the stream at the perfect time, I know I wanted to see more Karl/Ray action. Perhaps we switch the final two to a best-of-3 on all 3 games used.

Any thoughts on the format are welcomed. I have a meeting with Stern this week to review the campaign…and by “meeting with Stern” I mean I’ll probably call Zach this week.

Congrats to David Raymondson!!

6 Likes

First, I was very impressed at what was pulled off for a first time format/event. I know a ton of hard work went into this.

My constructive feedback:
Absolutely MUST have some type of communication from the game pair being played on which challenge was chosen. It was a constant “Let’s do some lip-reading,” or “So-and-so is going to run over there and find out what challenge they chose.” And other times, neither the commentators nor the viewers knew the challenge – that was bad.

Actually, even better would be to have the players wait the 30 seconds it takes to run the aweseome video preview/explanation of the challenge chosen before the players begin. It was difficult to follow for usual pinball players – I’m sure it was near impossible for any new or casual pinball player to follow and appreciate what was going on.

Perhaps the process goes like this: Player chooses the challenge. Have the referee lay a large-font numbered card (1-5) on one of the playfields to indicate which challenge was chosen. Then booth needs to be able to press a couple buttons to run the snippet of video explanation for that challenge. The booth then gives the green light to the referee that the segment is over, and the challenge can begin.

Another specific: The 2-minute challenge loses virtually all of its appeal for stream viewing when there’s no clock on the video stream.

Fanfare: Would be cool if there was some type of fanfare to indicate that the challenge has been won. Perhaps for the viewing audience, provide a button that the commentator/ producer can push for one or the other player that highlights their playfield cam border in Green (to indicate that they won), making it obvious to all who won the last one.

Scoreboard: there needs to be a simple text field in the video frame that shows 0-0, 0-1, 1-0, or 1-1 for each match.

11 Likes