Guardians of the Galaxy Pinball Rulesheet

Just reformatted the rules document a lot, adding a proper layout description and some more accurate mode descriptions / shot requirements. I still need help on figuring out the formula for mode bonus and the scoring during the two Wizard Modes.

2 Likes

Definitely a bug, when did you make the Upgrade shot?

I can’t say for sure, but I think I’ve determined it has nothing to do with the Upgrade shot. I’m playing this on location so I can’t do any glass off testing. But I did notice some more weird behavior today while playing Sanctuary. I think it’s more related to if the mode times out or if you drain while the mode is running. But I’ve definitely seen it behave in a way you wouldn’t expect, on more than one occasion.

A bit confused… I finally got to Save Xandar and got the SJP and then I didn’t see what to hit. Did I miss something? I had three balls trapped and didn’t see anything flashing or anything showing on the display with direction. I locked two of the three in Groot and then drained the third. At the point, my ball eneded.

What gives?

Save Xander ends once you collect the super. After that, if you still have balls in play, you can lock balls in Groot or get virtual Orb locks. Once you’re down to one ball you can play another mode, since they all reset.

It is weird that it doesn’t just kill the flippers like Cherry Bomb or let you keep playing like Immolation.

Hum… Before the ball drained, I locked it in the scoop but it didn’t give me a mode to start as I expected.

Hey! I was thinking of using this rulesheet as a guide to create some basic posts about how to play this for Belles and Chimes members. I know you put a ton of work into this so I just want to make sure that would be ok? I’m so happy to credit you!

1 Like

Yep. It’s a wiki rulesheet for everyone to use as they please!

1 Like

Fine by all of us!

1 Like

Since this thread now has some new activity…

Looks like this wiki is showing v1.06, not updated for 1.09. I haven’t made the change in my GOTG, but I think the only changes are Groot jackpots went from 6m to 6.25, and I heard Sanctuary progress now carries over? Couldn’t find any other changes in the readme. Are there any other gameplay differences?

1 Like

Thank you!! It’s on my instagram page @smacktheflip, just in case anyone wants to use what I made also!

I saw someone get a 125M Groot SJP on stream. Can someone explain to me how that’s possible?

The new Groot SJP base value is 6,250,000, so 125M means it’s collected with a 20x multiplier. How the hell do you get a 20x multiplier? That’s 2 * 2 * 5, but there’s no 5x multiplier in the game, is there?

Groot 3x rocket 2x shot 2x combo 2x = 24x

Sure, 24x, that one I understand. That would be a 150M SJP then. How do you get 20x for a 125M SJP, though?

Hahaha apparently the playfield multipliers are additive, not multiplicative. Combo and shot multipliers are multiplicative on top of the playfield multipliers and each other.

Groot 3x + rocket 2x (playfield 5x sum) times shot 2x times combo 2x = 5x2x2 = 20x.

2 Likes

Interesting. I can’t come up with a better explanation for the SJP value, but I don’t think that’s how additive multipliers usually work.

Take Mando, for example, those are additive multipliers, each one is +1X, with an additional +2x for getting all of them.

If you applied that to Guardians, Groot would be +2x, Rocket +1x, for a total of +3x, so, added to the 1x base playfield, that would be a 4x playfield, not 5x. You don’t add the 1x base playfield in a second time when adding up multipliers.

That’s not to say it isn’t possible, but off the top of your head, can you name another machine where additive multipliers work the way you’re describing?

Stern Star Trek

I think Kiss multipliers work the same way as Guardians… Playfield X is additive, Shot X is multiplicative on top of any PF X.

1 Like

@ANM, not sure how this applies, I know about the 2x PF from Warp, and the combo multiplier, and they multiply together, right? Is there something else I don’t know about?

@jdelz, I think you’re spot on, I looked it up in the rulesheet, and that’s how the PF X seem to add up. Both Guardians and Kiss are Lonnie games, so makes sense they work similarly.

Btw, what I find weird about it isn’t that the PF X is additive and the shot X is multiplicative on top. What I find weird is that the way the PF X is added together just seems wrong. If I collect 100 points, and I have a feature running that says I’ll 2x that, here’s another 100 points for you, and at the same time I have a second feature running that says I’ll 3x that, here’s another 200 points for you, I’ll end up with 400 points total, and not 500.

I mean, if I don’t have Rampage running, that’s only a 1x PF, and if at the same time I don’t have any balls in Groot, that’s also a 1x PF. According to that logic, I should be at 2x PF now.

The logic is essentially “if the playfield x is greater than 1, add it. Otherwise, discard. After adding all potential playfield x’s, if you are at 0x, change playfield x to 1”.

Having multipliers be additive is a neat way to allow playfield x to grow without it getting crazy, but I agree it’s confusing as heck, and is kind of irrelevant in guardians except for this 2x3x scenario getting you 5x instead of 6x.

1 Like