Ghostbusters Code Version 1.10

So as of 1.10,there’s a new feature where if you’re cradling the ball and it registers inactivity after X seconds it’ll stop the countdown. Not something good for tournaments but definitely great for people trying to learn a game or beat a tough mode!

Super Loopin Mode Timer Countdown :wink:

1 Like

Actually I like it for tournaments too. Prevents timing out modes. However I think with the scoring in some of the modes of GOT and GB, Dwight has done a great job of making you want to play the modes.

2 Likes

Hm, yeah, I can see that! I did notice that timing out modes to advance feels… dull. I’d rather a person have to complete a mode than just hold the ball on the flipper and wait. This is why I’m learning to be a TD and not one!

You can’t time out modes easily because the timer stops with no activity (similar to Star Trek).

Since you have to hit GHOST and then bash Slimer to relight the modes if it does time out, I found that pushed me into wanting to complete the modes. Most mode shots are far less risky than GHOST/Slimer combo, plus you get those mode points.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I know! I actually said something about it in an earlier post but maybe I’m bad with wording things. ^^; No matter.

I do like that turning off time-out makes something where your choices have much more impact. Do you try for that hard shot and possibly drain, or let it time out and have to relight it/hit Slimer? The former seems like the obvious choice, but depending on the time left on the clock there, panic may ensue and aiming for it could become more devastating than post passing to the left flipper and relighting GHOST.

I don’t like timers pausing when a ball is on the flipper, although I understand why Dwight did it on GB. On FGY, how you do during the modes affects how you score in the mini wiz mode. Want to time out all the modes? Go ahead, but you won’t score jack in TV wiz mode.

Probably too late but it would be cool if how you did in the modes affected the scoring in WCWS. Then the timer pause wouldn’t be needed and the player could pick which mode(s) to time out or not. Hell, why not add a timer accelerator? EOS switch stays closed on either side for more than 5 seconds with no other switch activity, timer counts down double time. No delays for timing out modes.

2 Likes

I’d think WCWS can be mostly fixed simply by disallowing repeat shots. Just unlight the last shot that was made and bump up the values of the shots to compensate.

3 Likes

What’s the best strategy when dealing with the Scoleri Bros? Avoid them and wait for them to time out or is there a worthwhile reason for hitting them other than lighting a fairly nominal Super Jackpot? I find that I tend to avoid them unless a ball saver is on as a risk of a deadly reject is too high.-and yes, i only shoot them via backhand but I still get rejections fairly often. Is the reason they were turned off at Expo to speed up game times (avoid timeouts) or was there another reason?

Unless I’m mistaken, you cannot time out Scoleri Bros once they’ve popped up.

I like the suggestion I read of changing the award for completing them to lighting PF multiplier, which is much more valuable than one 3x SJP (in most situations).

3 Likes

That was actually my suggestion over on Pinside for lighting the 2x PF Multiplier as an additional bonus for completing Scoleri Bros. Would be excellent if Dwight decided to implement this as it would make me hate the Bros. a little less :wink:

I wasn’t sure on Scoleri’s timing out. There are times I’ll avoid them and go for other shots (like left captive balls) and they seem to go away eventually even if you don’t complete them?

If I hit Book Stacking captive ball, I’ll often wait for it to timeout so that I don’t accidentally hit it again and awaken these jerks. You have to wait a bit longer than you think, because Book Stacking does have a “grace” period!

They can be worthwhile on later balls if you built up a big SJP value. Considering how frustrating they are, a better award for defeating them would definitely be fun!

4 Likes

Correct: you can time out the Book Stacking 2nd hit that’s required. All while not timing out your mode (because mode timers pause with inactivity). Win-win!

1 Like

If we’re talking about timing something out then the feature definitely has to change to make it more lucrative. Colin are you suggesting scoleri bros lighting BOTH playfield multipliers? I like that idea for sure.

It goes Scoleri > Terror Dog > Terror Dog > Gozer for the books right? What if that changed to Scoleri, Scoleri, Terror Dog, Gozer and each completion of Scoleri would add 2x and 3x respectively? I think giving them both for one might be a tad unbalanced.

EDIT: Just thought about why the terror dog hurry up is twice in a row and now I wouldn’t want that to change. :sweat_smile:

I would make Scoleri light 2x if it isn’t already lit (3X if it is) and do the same thing at the left captive ball. It’s too hard to get the 3x at the left captive the way it currently is.

1 Like

Lighting even 2x for completing the bros is too much IMO. Lighting full playfield multipliers should be hard. And this game already gives you two ways to light them. Can’t think of another Stern game that does that.

It would be nice if completing them spotted a standup or two, or a couple of captive ball hits if light multipliers is already lit. That could make 2X light, but not if you hadn’t done some work beforehand (stand ups and captive ball). Not as flashy as a SJ, but better integration into the rules. I hate having to ignore a flashing SJ because the value is too low or I don’t need that shot. Best light show in the game, worthless (at times) to shoot at.

3 Likes

Lighting both would be too powerful. I like the suggestion of lighting whichever one that isn’t yet lit: 2x if you have no multiplier lit, but 3x if you already have 2x lit or running.

I don’t think I’d put Scoleri as Book Stacking award back-to-back.

1 Like

So does anyone know the conditions for that blood-curdling scream that they added to 1.10? I was playing last Friday, hit the Tobin scoop without anything lit on it, and all the lights went off on the game and an extremely loud (even for GB) scream with an accompanying DMD animation came up for about 2 or 3 seconds.

It wouldn’t be a very good scare feature if it was predictable :slight_smile:

3 Likes