Getting Better at Pinball: Learned vs Innate Skill

I feel a lot of pinball skill is learned, and I feel just about anyone could get good at the game. One of the biggest factors to success is discipline and smart decision making (kind of like real life), and a lot of players I see that fail to take their game to the next level also fail to tell themselves, "Hey, wait a second… maybe that’s not really a good shot to make; or, maybe I should stop flailing; or maybe I should play smart."

Fast reaction times is definitely important to staying alive, particularly on modern games that play extremely fast (a well tuned and clean Tron, for instance). Speaking in regards to newcomers, some people are going to be better with reaction times out of the gate than others. For example, someone that’s played fast-paced videogames for the last 25 years of their life will have a distinct advantage in the beginning than someone that didn’t, but I think with practice anyone could get to the same level. It may just take one person more time than another, but I think anyone could get there.

For ups and downs, highs and lows: Take a break from the game for a week or two. You would be surprised how much a short break will actually help your skill.

There is one more thing these recent posts brought to mind.
I was playing 8 ball deluxe and really struggling, but once I stopped to change my mindset, it all got better - shots, rebounds, saves … the difference was paying attention after a shot. Instead of getting frustrated from missing, I started going for ball time - hitting savable angles, rather than hits the designer hoped you’d keep going for and drain.

For example, using the left upper to go for 1-7 targets, will lead to a missed shot with a bounce back to the left outlane or a sling frenzy out either side, or back to the upper flipper - another shot and it aims / goes directly to the right outlane.

Its tough to break habitual shots, esp. on a game where you zoned in trying to get a goal, and just can’t seem to shoot that last shot made every other time – this is when you change gears and think about rebounds, or keeping the ball out of a danger angle or back&forth sling suicide situations.

I find my best games are when I know what to shoot for and make the shots - but when things start to get off by a hair, STOP going for it… take time to switch to another goal.

I think that’s extended what Bowen said - but the mind discipline part to STOP doing something, until you reset mentally, catch and hold and look, etc. Is what Josh, Bowen and others are getting at when its bite-size pieces.

1 Like

I totally agree and notice this about myself when playing in local tournaments. Usually I know most or all of the people in local or TX state tournaments. I play these tournaments like I’m having fun with my local buddies that I usually play with for fun. Its not about competition or winning for me so its easy to do well. I would think sports psychology would help someone to get into this mindset more easily/consistently. Any recommendations on books or online material?

I’ve never been to an optometrist but, I probably need to get checked out and get some glasses. There are plenty of reasons to get your vision checked but, the only reason I would go is to improve my vision for pinball lol

I’ve been playing in our local pinball league here in the Chicago area for about 15 years now. I used to take it so seriously that I’d get super pissed off when I’d inevitably lose. I found I do worse when playing competitively and it damn near soured me on the sport and made me want to drop out of the league.

When I hit that crossroads and the next season was gearing up I had a decision to make: quit or keep going. I thought about how I’d miss all the great people I play with in league, many of them I only get to see at league, and I decided that I’d stay in for the social aspect and stopped caring how I did. Up to this point I’d never taken better than 3rd or 4th place in the B division. It wasn’t long after that I won my first trophy (taking first in B) and a few years later doing the same in C (recovering from a year where I played bad and missed two sessions).

I still don’t really care how well I do but I have a lot more fun and I seem to be a little more consistent in playing pretty well over the past few years. I also have two neat trophies on my shelf in my basement arcade that I’m really proud to have won, especially because I had fun doing it.

I’ve never adopted that into playing in any tournaments as they just aren’t fun to me and I don’t have the time or disposable income to travel to/play in them. I much prefer playing in league and playing games with friends but the moral of the story is that I truly believe that if you can get out of your head and stop caring if you win or lose, you’ll ultimately do better and have a lot more fun in the process.

3 Likes

The part of my game that needs the most work is definitely the mental aspect. As someone said on the Circuit Final broadcast recently, you need to learn how to compete. Simply walking up to a machine and knowing the ruleset cold isn’t enough. You have to be able to adjust your strategy on the fly to accommodate what’s going on, and above all, CALM DOWN. My biggest problem is I get too worked up about stuff, both the positive and the negative. Just play your game. The best players in the world will get house balls and house games just like you.

1 Like

“Inner Game of Tennis”

3 Likes

I doubt pinball is different than any other skill. Anyone can be world class if they dedicate enough time to it. Some people probably start with a small advantage in certain areas - and that small advantage probably builds on itself (because those people get more enjoyment out of the activity initially).

I always think of people who can draw. It’s so easy to think “some people were just born with the ability to draw”. That’s not true. The output you’re seeing from them is the result of hundreds and thousands of hours of practicing. Imagine how good you’d be if you put in that kind of time?

3 Likes

This is correct. 10,000 hours is the magic number. Theres a reason all the players in the top 20 IFPA have all been at it for a long time. If raw talent was a major factor, you’d expect to see at least a few players who have only been playing for a year or so at the top of the rankings. As far as I can tell, there aren’t any (though, please correct me if I’m wrong).

Edit: Just realized it could be argued that there aren’t more new players at the top because it takes a while to accrue IFPA points. derp. I wonder how long it would take Keith Elwin to go from 0 points back to the top 20…

I went from 0 points to ranked #170 in 16 months. That’s not top 20, but with a lot of tourney / league play it is possible to move up quickly.

Judging from current tournament results, 11 months.

Elwin would be ranked 4th if you took his best 20 events from the past 12 months.

1 Like

Just for fun, I looked at Elwin’s first 15 events in 2014. Not his best of 2014, just the first 15. With the first 15 events he has 549 points, which would put him in 19th currently. For the record, his 15th event of 2014 was August. So less than 8 months! Find me the raw talent newbie that can match that!!!

Well, if you look at Eff%, that might be a better measure than points. And it would need to be across several events, and not just the same tournament/league over and over.

@nighthawk Did you literally go from not playing pinball to #170 in 16 months? If so, that’s amazing. I can think of a great player out here who “just started” playing in tournaments, but had been playing a lot for at least 10 years before that - so certainly that time would have to be accounted for.

You’re right, I was only looking at active results, which is obviously the wrong way to go about this.

@ryanwanger:

Not playing competitive pinball, yes, 16 months. I played here and there as a kid (always went looking for pinball machines in any arcade I found myself in), but we’re talking a few hours a year. Sold pinball machines along side other game room equipment in the late '90s but didn’t really spend a bunch of time playing then, either.

What I do have? More hours of video pinball than I could possibly count (a point my local mates enjoy teasing me about :slight_smile: ), on pretty much every platform that’s ever featured it. That, and when I did start competing I probably put in 20 hours a week of location pinball for 3-4 months. (The bank tellers know me by name now.)

So no, I didn’t start with, “What’s a flipper?” 16 months ago, but I did have to work really hard to develop IRL the flipper skills that I’d already “perfected” playing video pinball.

To keep this on-topic, I’d say pinball is 85% learned. There’s certain gifts that can surely help, but most of it is just putting in the time.

Okay @nighthawk, that definitely qualifies as new. :smile:

Here I was feeling pretty good about crack the Top 1000 in just under 2 years.

1 Like

didn’t someone create a tool where you can plot IFPA progress over time, and overlay two players on the same graph? I know it exists I just can’t remember what it’s called…

I did. Not sure if you mean that or something else, but here’s the link: http://tools.flipperliste.at/ifpa_player_statistics/?players[]=Ryan+Wanger&players[]=Nathaniel+Gibson

I’m probably going to move it over to the pinballvideos.com domain some time soon, though.

1 Like

Thats it! Thanks