Game you like, game you hate (that you played at Pinburgh)

Would flipping the state of the gate make it good? Starts out being open (making the skill shot more interesting), and then you’re trying to close it?

It’s rare to have the full orbit shot in a game of that era.

Sounds fun.

You mean the MB where you’re trying to shoot into a saucer that has nothing behind it and hope that it rattles in…or alternatively shooting the right ramp and trying to nudge it down into a specific lane (one out of 4? 5?)?

I didn’t try to repeat his feat, but since it’s a Gottlieb, you just shoot the ramp and hold up the flipper, where the ball settles safely 100% of the time.

Implying that spamming the left orbit is easier and more valuable? I’m hating this game even more. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Shooting the left orbit hits the target that lights multiball and, at least on the papa game, generally dumps it right into the start multiball hole, lol.

It’s usually a pretty easy backhand, too.

I’ve found if I’m playing faces, just go for A and B targets and little else. That’ll be your bonus advance. Sending it back up top is pointless. Playing that game is pointless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t worry Butterfly, I still like you for strange unknown reasons.

1 Like

Okay, perhaps my opinion is based on the fact that clearly no one in my group had any idea how to play that game.

Just watched the video of Butterfly. Does not look good…most of the playfield is completely wasted space.

You might want to explore having the tilt bob inverted and installed above the ring (which is how the manufacturer’s all pictured it but of course, it’s harder to install that way so almost no one ever does it that way).

It shortens the time needed for recovery on hard shakes, but will still allow the fine tuning that you need for a tilt on a quick shove/hit. The main disadvantages to installed it like this is a little more work (you usually have to take the ring out) and that if the bob loosens up, it’s going to just plop down into the ring and you’ll have instant tilt.

I think Soren should update his tilt video showing the times etc. with the bob inverted. Just another setup tweak that can be done.

2 Likes

OK let me be the first to say that, with 20 years in the industry, I have never even heard of this nor seen this before, and you just blew my mind away.

It makes sense, but I’ve never seen a mechanical drawing of a plumb bob installed that way, ever.

Here is the only picture I’ve found with seconds of googling:

I’ll also do the meta-pointing-out that not even the drawing of our namesake forum bears that installation. :wink:

But, still, mind=blown

By the way, no one does this on location for good reason. If the fastener fails, game is in perma-tilt mechanically.

I also think it sucks for various reasons to do with dialing the tilt in, but give it a shot and see if you like it.

1 Like

Tilt Blunt FTW

2 Likes

I just asked Pat about it and he had never heard of it either and was skeptical of the practicality. He did agree it probably settled faster, though.

Smokin’ dat phat tilt yo.

OK so some quick research shows the original patent of the plumb bob did in fact have it upside-down:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2072510A/en?q=pinball&q=plumb+bob&q=tilt

However, it could be argued that that was simply a space consideration because the cabinets were extremely shallow back then.

The most recent patent of a tilt assembly shows it the way we all know and love today:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5338031A/en?q=pinball&q=plumb+bob&q=tilt

2 Likes

Bring back the stool pigeon!

4 Likes

Neath plunger.

Reminds me of this South Park episode:

The funny thing is, the tilt bob was indeed upside down. It did not have the tilt blunt / ear plug mod though which it probably needed

2 Likes

The ear plug mod of Soren’s is awesome. I have it on all my B/W games. The Sterns don’t seem to need it.

2 Likes

I just looked in both a Williams and Stern manual and neither one has this method recommended.

Which manufacturers did?

The 1960 Willaims parts catalog shows it like we normally expect. However, the 1971 Bally parts catalog shows it reversed.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

1 Like

Early solid bally parts manuals is indeed where I saw it this way. I tried it on my machines and I really like the settle time being shorter. Just another consideration in machine setup.