For Your Consideration: A Proposed SCS/PCS Format

I expect to see at least 3 flavors of action on this:

1. Easiest route to Finals - win a state trophy, some cash, guaranteed shot at Nationals $

2. Juiciest state $ - biggest pots up front if you win plus Nationals entry

3. Juiciest states ex-Top Tier - states with good $ but without Zach, Keith, Raymond and a few others depending upon the individual’s confidence level

Of course, there’s also the “how far am I willing to travel and spend how much doing so?” issue that will play into things. If State A has a $400 first prize and State B has $250 but costs $100 less to attend, which do you pick? This will come up more often in those geographically large states where the SCS is “at the other end from where I am.”

1 Like

Our SCS winner was not a local, but we consider him one of our own since he comes out to the majority of our monthly tournaments, he’s friendly, and he’s a heck of a player. Aside from “WE LET THE TROPHY WALK OUT OF THE STATE?!” joking around, we’re happy for Steve and his win on Saturday. It’s all that much more motivating to get better and bring the trophy back home next year.

3 Likes

We’re coming for ya @Shep !! No 3 peat!!!

I have a feeling he might stay in Ohio next year…

I wouldn’t blame him. Some serious coin going on up there.

These were all really good points. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I am still trying to form my own opinion on this issue, and what I would do if I qualified in a state other than my state of residence. I think an exit poll on how people chose their SCS location would be interesting.

3 1/2 hrs to SLC vs. 6 1/2 to either Las Vegas or Sacramento for him … state lines aside, you’re his closest event scene. Good job, Steve!

Have to look him up next time we pass through Elko.

Definitely do. He’s a great guy to play with. Just don’t let him take you to a modern Stern, he’s got those on lockdown.

I don’t even mean for the money. Just that Columbus has a rapidly growing scene, so he shouldn’t have any trouble making the OH top 24. Plus he’ll be at Nationals/Pinmasters the weekend of LAX so there goes his one stop shop for KY qualifying!

1 Like

In my view you shouldn’t have any reservation about attending a State Finals in a state which is not your residence. If you’ve earned enough points in a different state to be invited to Finals, it means that you’ve taken the time and effort to travel to that state, play pinball in that state, AND play well enough to earn enough points to qualify. Especially in the northeast, where NJ/PA/DE/MD/NY/CT/MD/VA are all within a few hours of one another and it’s easy enough to travel to events.

It doesn’t matter where you call home, but it’s your “reward” for taking the time and effort to support events within the boundaries of that state.

2 Likes

Then why is it best of 7? Let’s make it a one ball challenge for every matchup!

1 Like

Back in the day I might have welcomed some extra playing to figure out where everyone should have finished. But honestly if I’ve lost the shot at champ I really don’t want to keep playing. I don’t know many who do. My vote would be to keep it as is. If we’re counting votes that is.

2 Likes

When we got on circuit and knowing top 24 got points we did not want any ties so we decided at OBX Flippers to implement a 2 game consolation here is what we did

Consolation games after losses:
Players who are eliminated from head-to-head matches in the finals will be reseeded based on their qualifying scores, and then placed in a consolation bracket to determine each position as follows:

Consolation Round #1: Groups of 4 players will play a single game, determined by the tournament director. The top 2 players in each group will advance, and the bottom two players in each group will play the bottom players in the other group. The results of these 2 groups will determine 17-24th place.

Consolation Round #2: Groups of 4 players will play a single game, determined by the tournament director. The top 2 players in each group will advance, and the bottom two players in each group will play the bottom players in the other group. The results of these 2 groups will determine 9-16th place.

Consolation Round #3 This will be a four player game picked by the Tournament Director where they will be playing for position #5, #6, #7, and #8.

Consolation Round #4: This will be a 2 player best of three to determine position #3 and #4

It could work for the 8 players eliminated in first round of scs and have a one game for players 5-8 like we did in consolation round 3

Since LAX will be at the same time as Nationals, I doubt he’ll be able to qualify for the Kentucky SCS this year.

Edit: …and I should have finished reading the thread before replying.

1 Like