Event Art and T-Shirts

Every spring for 9 years Portland hosts a humble 128 player DE bracket. Our host Ground Kontrol commissions and prints t-shirts and they are always rad.

I’m particularly proud of this year’s White Water/Paragon mashup by Vo Minh McBurney and Lee Zeman, and it’s up for preorder this week! :smiley: .

I’m pretty sure half of my wardrobe is in pinball related. I thought this would be a cool place to share our favorite event art from competitive pinball history.

21 Likes

I love the Pinburgh 2013 art. It’s probably the only tournament shirt I actually wear, honestly. Louisville Arcade Expo had an awesome one this year that was gone by the time I remembered to go and buy one.

I like this thread idea and I’d love to see some artwork from other tournaments!

10 Likes

I would kill for a David Macaulay-style cross section of a whole pinball machine filled with gnomes. That would be the ultimate, right?!

1 Like

gah!
Missed the preorder :frowning:
Looks cool

Very cool! I love pinball shirts but I have yet to pick any up. They never have any in my size haha

Detail from a 2014 pinburgh poster by Jon Chad.

4 Likes

We still have a couple XXL, XL and S shirts at the bar. Contact Dylan at pinbrawl@groundkontrol.com and they might be able to reserve you one.

I’m sure I’ve hyped mine up enough :wink: but here it is…

Both shirt and BL poster available at http://www.pinvasion.com/shop

2 Likes

Our Pinball Asylum 4th Annual Point Monsters shirt (and poster) featured art by rock gig poster god Dave Berns with a few well-know pinball characters as well as our “Asylum Monster.” Can’t wait to see what he comes up with this year!

2 Likes

My favorite poster (and shirt) was from the first PPE, which I didn’t attend. Normally I won’t buy a shirt or poster unless I attend the event, but I made a huge exception for these.

The art was done by Dan Fontes, who is an artist that is on the PPE board and a hell of a nice guy. Occasionally hosts tournaments at his home. He told me that he had very specific instructions given for the poster. To me, it looks like a cross between a 60/70’s concert poster from the bay area and what the posters for the San Francisco Exposition (Worlds Fair) held on nearby Treasure Island in 1939 might look like. I have a poster framed and it’s on the wall in my living room. Pic below doesn’t really do it justice, but you get the idea.

7 Likes

Oh this is fantastic! And totally unlike most pinball merch art I’ve seen. Love it.

1 Like

Its like Stanley Mouse got in a car wreck with Photoshop :slight_smile: <3

My new pickup this past weekend. Original ink by B Holderman. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fun fact 1: You can see a replica of that wonderful statue (Star Maiden, by Alexander Stirling Calder) in downtown San Francisco. It’s in the atrium of (I think) Citibank, on Sansome St. & Sutter St.

Fun fact 2: The statue was made for the 1906 Panama Pacific International Expo.

Fun fact 3: The PPE in 2011 was how I got into competitive pinball. Johnny O (whom I would consider the Godfather of competitive pinball in the Bay Area) hosted a novice tournament. I played, and I was hooked!

3 Likes