Deep cuts of semi-useful pinball knowledge

On Austin Powers, starting the Shag Hurry Up, completing the bottom lanes for a second time, if the last letter is gotten by either outlane you will get the ball back.

On Revenge from Mars, if you are in Alien Abduction, you can use the secondary flipper buttons to change the value of the small saucer hurry ups as long as the hurry up has not started yet.

1 Like

Probably known by everyone else but me - until this weekend

During Monsters of Rock a shot up the centre/spinner lane awards the leftmost unlit monster helping progress to the jackpot.

2 Likes

Kiss:

When playing Deuce an unlit shot just to the left of the lit shots also counts as a mode shot.

7 Likes

On CFTBL, right after you light the I letter for hitting the all the standups or scoop enough times for the snackbar, you can hit both flipper buttons to blow up the snack bar. This is supposed to increase your likelihood of getting better rewards from the snackbar but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s true when itā€™s in tournament mode.

3 Likes

On CFTBL, the order in which you lit FILM letters is not remembered from ball to ball. If you start a ball with leading letters lit (F, F-I, or F-I-L), even if you spelled those out of order, you can complete the remaining letters in order and get the 8mil Sequential FILM award.

Enjoy the FLIM!

27 Likes

maybe everyone already knows thisā€¦

Black Hole: when you return from the lower playfield successfully, the re-entry gate remains open for about 5 seconds. if you shoot down to the basment again during this grace period, the gate stays open for that trip. it changes the basement shot from a risky shot to a safe one.

(this is also true of multiball ā€“ once opened, the gate remains open as long as there is more than one ball in play, making it the best/safest shot on the game during multiball)

2 Likes

Hitting any upper playfield pop bumper closes the gate. Itā€™s not timed. Someone could skillfully return to the lower playfield over and over, in theory.

7 Likes

thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

After Terminus on TWD, multikills are worth 1/10 of whatever your final Terminus score is even if you just did Horde before Terminus. So always try to do Terminus with 2x scoring, so that you have really high value multikills.

4 Likes

And, as we discovered this weekend, this also happens on Johnny Mnemonic if you have the claw disabled, shoot the last lock, and drain while the multiball animation is running.

3 Likes

Ugh, Iā€™ve seen all sorts of issues on Johnny Mnemonic with the glove disabled. For those who donā€™t know, it locks balls on lock shots normally feeding the VUK, and starts modes in the Crazy Bobā€™s hole. I played it that way for some time as I was trying to get the glove to work in PinMAME with a P-ROC board in place of the WPC controller. Was not successful since the emulated ROM couldnā€™t cope with the additional P-ROC latency between driving the glove motors and getting rotary encoder feedback.

Anyway, in addition to losing a multiball due to a fast lock 3 to drain, Iā€™ve also had a ball search during video mode end the ball prematurely. If playing with a disabled glove, I now make sure Iā€™m hitting the flipper buttons often enough to avoid that outcome. I thought there were some other quirks, but itā€™s been at least a year since Iā€™ve played it that way.

And unlike Demolition Man where playing with the claw disabled is still quite fun, a disabled glove on JM means playing Video Mode as your first matrix award in every game, in addition to the other bugs you must deal with.

3 Likes

Yeah they saw this one too.

Iā€™m not totally sure why or how this happens, but on Fire! If you trap up and wait for 3-5 secs, the ladder will sometimes raise. Shoot the ladder for a free lock.

1 Like

Sure thatā€™s not the ball search?

1 Like

Do system 11As ball search with a flipper held up?

Itā€™s been awhile since Iā€™ve played a Fire! but I seem to recall the one we had would raise the ramp up what I thought was randomly.

I thought it was ball search at first, but itā€™s not consistent at all. And itā€™s not just my game. Played two others that behaved the same way.

The ones that Iā€™ve owned shouldnā€™t, but all of them had bad switches so it would still happen. Itā€™s bad enough that Iā€™ve seen multiple references to raising the ramp in Jokerz by cradling the ball being an illegal moveā€¦

It came up a couple times at NWPC but I couldnā€™t ever tell if on Johnny Mnemonic if you already have super spinner running when you start frenzy do you still get super spinner scoring while frenzy is running?

I donā€™t believe so. I find Frenzy to be generally evil on Johnny; it locks out most other things, and just isnā€™t worth that much on its own.

2 Likes

Got a replay on Twilight Zone? Hit both flippers before the slot machine ā€œREPLAYā€ animation locks in the reels. Free 5M.

2 Likes