Deadpool is garbage because of Playfiled Multiplier rules. Change my Mind

Certainly have the “hot air” aspect covered.

3 Likes

FWIW on the DP launch party at Expo this weekend with the 2-minute timer, we figured there was an approximate max score you could get which someone achieved. So our friend Ryan decided to go for 2x before cashing in his battle and it worked and he won the launch party. Was nice to see someone else try for that shot on purpose and hit it for a strategic victory

7 Likes

So coming back to this, I assisted a local op with his DP pro today. Turns out that Snikt target pictured above may not be as far out of alignment as it looks. I looked at that target from above on the local game and it’s pretty much in the same position. But looking from underneath, it’s straight up and down. Not centered in the hole, just like above. Game is maybe three months old. I don’t aim for that shot (ramp and all), but get it regularly enough that I know it’s doable.

Interestingly, the colossal jackpot skinny standup target had the non-leaning bracket I mentioned above. The IM vault I mentioned earlier only had them on the big whiplash standup targets, no Zues targets. Couldn’t get a good pic without completely disassembling. Snikt target today had the old ‘leanable’ bracket, but wasn’t leaning.

tl;dr Stern is using a new standup target bracket that prevents leaning and that Snikt target is supposed to look off kilter.

4 Likes

Apologies for the thread necro but here are my thoughts on the Deadpool playfield multiplier rules.

On most of the Deadpool machines I’ve played, the SNIKT combo is actually pretty reliable - in fact, sometimes, I make it on accident when I’m trying to make the center orbit. It reminds me a bit of the battering ram from Game of Thrones, where trying to reliably recover from the feed balances out how overpowered the multipliers can get. That being said, making sure the SNIKT target is aligned properly is important; the ones on my local machines allow you to make the shot properly but I could imagine that it would be very difficult if the machine wasn’t leveled properly.

I feel that the multiplier rules in Ghostbusters are far worse. Having to complete the PKE targets, then shooting the insanely dangerous 3-ball captive ball 6 times total to qualify 6x multipliers is just ridiculous, plus you have to keep shooting both the 2x and 3x targets over and over to make good use out of the multipliers. Doesn’t help that those targets are prone to either airballs or really quick drains. A lot of people seem to hate the multiplier rules on Star Wars but I just keep them all on Death Star / Endor / Hoth and I’ve been able to pull some amazing games together.

2 Likes

It is not impossible to aim for the multiplier shot.
My son has played a 3 ball game on our Deadpool pro and he was able to get 4 times 4x scoring in one game.
No Lucky shots…

Try it on a location game with thousands of plays where the Snikt target is beat and misaligned. Luck comes into play much more when it’s not fresh and properly set up.

I had that shot dialed for a little while and was actually enjoying it, but now it feels like a luckfest again.

I’m not having any trouble with the one at my location. It’s been working pretty well since it showed up actually. I’ve personally never seen a ball make the DP ramp without a shot from the left flipper. I find Munsters more problematic since it can be lucked into without even shooting at it. The Kitty target will occasionally get hit by balls exiting the pops or get maxed to 6X on a bounce between the target and pop bumper below and to the right.

1 Like

This is absolutely true. On our league game, it’s rare that someone ever gets even a single Snikt, much less multiple ones, and it’s basically luck. The GC is less than a billion.

Agreed on the Ghostbusters multiplier rules, especially considering that you can light both of them “for free” from a skillshot to the ‘K’ lane. Puts waaay too much potential value on that skillshot IMO. I think it’d be cool if you could qualify a PFM from a R Ramp to Captive Ball combo (would give players a reason to shoot that nasty R Ramp outside of modes that call for it).

1 Like

My Deadpool on location has become better with age. You can somewhat reliably hit Snikt by trying to hit a slightly late center spinner shot from a ball rolling down the inlane. Lock shot has become easier as well.

Both are difficult from a cradled ball, but quite possible from a moving one. I suppose that makes sense from a physics perspective, particularly the lock shot.

2 Likes