Coast 2 Coast Pinball, Interview with Greg

I’m co-host on The Pinball Podcast. We’re recording this Sunday. We’ll give you a shout out.

Awesome, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I have a hellish commute, too! I really need to catch up some classic Coast 2 Coast episodes (and The Pinball Podcast!). I don’t know what I haven’t listened to more of them. I’ll start today.

Heard about this place as an alternative to Pinside, which piqued my interest. I’ve been a big public complainer on that forum for a long time about its problems and am glad to see there are some alternatives that are flourishing.

I have a question for Greg relating to the C2C show… When he talked about his differences with Lawlor, he never went into details as to what aspects of gameplay rules he had a conflict with Pat about. I’d like to hear more on this with specific examples.

I have my own issues with many PL games. I feel they tend to reward repetitive play. On many of his games you can hit safe ramp/loop shots over and over, which is one reason why we almost never have those games in competition - they don’t encourage interesting and creative gameplay. I tend to gravitate towards that style over more conventional/repetitive play. Is that what you were referring to? I’d like to hear more about specific things you like/dislike…

I always wanted to design the rules in such a way to reward skilled play, and offer interesting strategic decisions for people. The biggest disagreements we had were around the wizard modes for both Monopoly and RCT, which I wanted to be strategic and interesting, and which he wanted to be timed so that good players wouldn’t sit on the game all day. RCT almost went out with a cool untimed wizard mode, until we went on test and @pinwizj played it for 15 minutes. THANKS A LOT JOSH. In the end, Pat wanted to appeal more to newer and less strategic players, and didn’t really care about the strategic / higher level player. I would like to stress this is totally fine and it takes all types of games to make a pinball industry, it just wasn’t what I was particularly interested in working on.

3 Likes

Yeah, the very reason I chose to come here is because I had heard about Pinside and how it was out of control. I’ve been on some other unregulated forums in the past and rarely enjoyed being at any of them, as you’d invariably have a few people who just say whatever they want. At a couple of them, those few people essentially took over the forums, being each other’s echo chambers. At one of them, I was an admin and couldn’t really do anything about them, because this group had so much social clout (and would complain loudly if there was any discussion about that forum’s theme) that to give them any sort of punishment would’ve been suicidal.

I like it when there are people around to rope people in when they step out of line.

1 Like