Chicago Pinball Expo Tournaments 2019

Will there be 9 or 18 different game scores? I’m not sure Karl’s software can handle 18 different queues feeding into only 9 “games” in the scoring backend… Or will there be only 9 queues and you don’t get to choose which copy of the game to play on?

So there will only be 9 queues. There will only be 9 top scores. The games are being placed next to each other. So if you come up to play Deadpool, for example, and you want to play the other copy, you can say so. The next person in line will get the one you didn’t want, and you can wait for the one you do want.

I asked Trent what happens if too many people are waiting for a particular copy of a game & he said we’ll cross that bridge if it becomes a problem.

Make sense Fred, thanks for the clarification. :slight_smile:

This problem solves its-self imo - Wait for the one you want, or put on your big-boy pants and play the open game. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I built the ability to have multiple copies of a single title a few years back for Expo. This comes more down to the scorekeeper’s ability to manage the queues properly if someone wants to wait for a specific example, and is something @pnmastr will be well aware of when training scorekeepers. Nothing different then selecting the next player on the list ready to play, as is usually done.

6 Likes

What about players participating in Power 100 on Friday AND competing in Expo finals concurrently? @pinwizj (I know, I already asked but for everyone else…)

image https://resizing.flixster.com/UG_yOJ8Wba26JfToyR3LVB-gjTU=/206x305/v1.bTsxMTE2NjcxNTtqOzE4MjY0OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

The “A” bracket will play out as much as possible around the Power100 players. Getting through those matches alone will get a great head start on Friday towards being able to time things nicely for a Saturday evening final.

As players are eliminated from the Power100 they can report back to the scorers desk at Expo that they are good to go when needed.

1 Like

14 byes or GTFO

1 Like

We played heads-up finals on Jurassic Park at Ayce Gogi, and I felt like nearly everyone wanted the right machine when given choice of machine since its left flipper angle was more “correct”.

Turned out the raptor gate on the right one also had a higher tendency for balls to get stuck. :rofl:

I’m mostly with Cayle on this one; any minor differences aren’t worth the trouble - - deal with it. Whether you’re on your game or not will matter more than the machine’s nuances. But I have seen a few occasions when the differences were enough to matter, including Expo back in the 1990’s and a few Pinburghs when there were two of the same title in different banks and one played much harder than the other. Trent’s usually pretty good with his Expo setups, so I wouldn’t anticipate any serious issues here. Main thing is to make sure none of the key shots are a problem on either of the pair. (But I wouldn’t be surprised if some players still say, “take the left-hand Deadpool, the snikt shot is way easier on that one.”)

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning about Top 250 getting in A if they only beat 50% of the field. I’m usually around the bubble and not in the 250, so I’ll probably save my $$ for another competition. Playing better, then getting bumped down to B because of an arbitrary line in the sand is just silly and unfair, especially with plane fare and hotel and time off work, etc.
TDs, please stop doing this!

Am I misunderstanding these rules? I took this as, if you’re top 250, and you don’t actually qualify for A, your day is done. IE, nobody gets bumped down to B that earned their spot in A.

3 Likes

There’s Classics . . . there’s Seminars . . . there’s Deep Dish Pizza!

(yeah, your day is done)

3 Likes

you putting that in the CON column right? :smiley:

3 Likes

Awww come on! You’re welcome to not call it “pizza”, but whatever you want to call it, it’s DELICIOUS.

I’m off to talk to Lou Malnati’s about sponsoring the Power100 just for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Set the timer on players that are in both!! :wink:
I want to have some Facebook Live ride-alongs with players who are speeding back and forth between @pinwizj 's basement and the Expo!

1 Like

Sponsored by Uber . . .

1 Like

Sorry, I was mid-understanding. Indeed it is a level playing field for us bubble busters. Yay!

2 Likes

Agreed. I hope pinburgh does the same next year in some way shape or form. Let the people that played well enough to be in A, play in A.

1 Like

@pinwizj if we are not in the power 100 how does one check their current standing? I was in for a week then it - but ultimately I don’t know where I stand because it doesn’t list players beyond the cutoff :blush: