Buffalo Pinball Summer Open '18 - Delivered by Domino's

PLAY FASTER!

1 Like

The idea of the 6:30 break is: 1) Yes, some games will be wrapping up and end close to 6:40; 2) Perhaps time for a quick bite of food*; 3) Time to look at Session 1 results and see if any games are playing long

I totally understand this request. I’ve run tournaments with this format 4 or 5 times now, and my preference is to use points rather than percentage. Here’s my justification:

• We’ll do everything we can to make ball times similar from game to game
  • At the beginning of the second half, players who have played the fewest games will get the advantage of starting in a playing position rather than the queue
  • Part of the “fun” of this format is trying to win or lose efficiently
  • Top 8 make the playoffs, so several players with higher win percentage but not higher win total will likely advance anyhow

*In case anyone started the tournament after, say, driving from Vermont. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds awesome.

Theee hours in a row is too long for this format so a break is a good idea. I ran it once for two hours (no break) and people thought it was a little too long. My queue was only three people deep (with six matches going on), so you barely had time for a deep breath while standing in line.

2 Likes

A big problem with using winning percentage is what’s to keep someone from winning his/her first game and then never playing again? Batting 1.000! An extreme example but using points, though it does lend itself to potential volatility in the results, avoids a some potential gaming of the system.

Hire a bouncer to make sure the players don’t leave. Honestly haven’t run into that problem yet. If that scenerio does worry you, you could set a minimum amount of games to qualify…say 50% of the amount of games played by the player with the most games. Shouldn’t be too hard.

2 Likes

I know some bouncers who would find this an amusing way to spend a day.

“Excuse me, sir, were you leaving the que? No leaving the que! Get back in line!”

2 Likes

@stevevt what software are you going to use for this?

Either MatchPlay or some homebrew Google Sheets/Google Form solution that a friend has created (@fletchtb) . The latter works great in general, but there can be a bit of variable lag with getting the information to populate so people can confirm their latest entry and overall standings.

Pre-registration for the Pre BPSO Flip Frenzy Tournament will begin around 5 pm ET tonight. Details will be posted in the event description and in the Discussion section of the Facebook event.

I’ll try to post pre-registration details here are well.

To recap:
50 spots
$30 (no coin drop needed)
3 hours of non-stop Matchplay plus finals
Yachts

To pre-register, send $10 via PayPal (please use the Friends and Family option if not using a bank account or existing balance to pay) to: -------------------------.

EDIT: All 50 spots taken as of 2/13! To get on the wait list, email vermontpinball@gmail.com.

You can either pay $10 or the full $30 – your choice. If you pay $10, you must pay the balance by 7/16/2018.

Anyone dropping out before the end of 7/16/2018 will receive a full refund. No refunds will be given after 7/16/2018. Spots are limited to the first 50 players to pay $10.

1 Like

FYI: 28 spots taken, 22 spots left

Two updates:

First - The Pre-BPSO Flip Frenzy has filled up! To get on the waitlist, email vermontpinball@gmail.com

Second - Just added: The Buffalo Pinball Summer Open 4 Strikes Women’s Tournament! Sunday Aug. 19, hosted by Buffalo Women’s Pinball. Info/register: http://www.facebook.com/events/190398128230757/

A block of rooms is now available for the Buffalo Pinball Summer Open at the Courtyard by Marriott Buffalo Downtown/Canalside. Book by 7/16/18 using this link to receive the discounted group rate: http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Buffalo%20Pinball^BUFDT`BUPBUPA|BUPBUPB`179.00`USD`false`4`8/16/18`8/19/18`7/16/18&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

1 Like

For out of towners, the above hotel is great for downtown activities for when you’re not at the club competing but note that you’ll also have to pay a toll every time you go to Grand Island (where the tournament is) and parking is also $15 a day at the hotel. If you plan on spending the the entire time on the island, the Radisson on the island is currently $30 cheaper a night ($100 total) and will save you a 30 mile drive each day.

That said, if you’re not booking immediately, who knows what the prices will be like in 4 months so it’s nice to have that rate locked in till 7/16/18 by BP guys at the Marriot.

Working on some other options too, so stay tuned™

I heard this toll was $1 each way. True? Google seems to confirm.

I’ve also heard that the IFPA somehow gets this dollar. True? Google is cloudy on this one.

5 Likes

There is a $1 toll to get on the island, yes. I heard they’re trying to build prize pools for competitive islanding.

9 Likes

An additional block of rooms is now available for the Buffalo Pinball Summer Open at the Radisson Hotel Niagara Falls – Grand Island. Call (716) 773-1111 to book by 7/9/18 and mention “Buffalo Pinball” (block ID 1291942) for a discounted group rate ($119/night for Thursday, $139/night for Friday and Saturday). I’ve been assured that these are extra-fancy “river view” rooms, to maximize your yacht club pinball tournament vacation experience.

Note that both hotel blocks have a limited number of rooms (15 at the Marriott and 10 at the Radisson), so I recommend booking soon if you want to get these rates.

For a more comprehensive list of hotels and attractions in the area, I’ve put together a page here: https://buffalopinball.com/summeropen/location-and-travel/

Awesome work Kevin. I was simply trying to help others save $100-$200 and 160 miles of extra driving. Looks like they’re saving even more with the group rate!

A lot of irons in the fire :slight_smile: