Brackelope 2.3 Beta & Feedback

If it does, it sure doesn’t seem like it does (like Jbath getting Harlem Globetrotters five times throughout the course of the last tournament).

1 Like

That’s a lot of Harlem!

1 Like

Brackelope does have a balancing algorithm that takes into account which machines have been played by which players whose matches are pending. This can still lead to a person getting called multiple times on the same machine, if that machine keeps coming up or if their opponent has not yet played it, but it’s definitely a feature that informs which match is called next.

1 Like

Balanced and Swiss round pairing rules will redraw a round up to 1000 times until it finds a round where no one has played eachother, or othe best combination of new pairings and pairings that just played last round.

Balanced machine rules are a little different. Of the match pool they find the pair that have played a machine the least. If there are more machines than pairs, it picks a machine randomly and finds the pair that fits best. If there are more pairs than machines, it will randomly pick the pair first and find the best machine that fits.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info, @bracket!

When “finding the pair that have played a machine the least”, do you just sum the number of plays, or weight the number of plays? In other words, if Player A and Player B are in a pair, and A has played Harlem 4 times and B has played it 0 times, is that equivalent to A having played No Fear 2 times and B having played No Fear 2 times? In my mind, those should definitely be different… OTTMH I’d think of assigning an AlreadyPlayedIndex like (2^A + 2^B), and selecting the lowest such index (randomly if there’s a tie).

1 Like

Good ol’ sums. I tried something similar to your equation in early builds of the app but changed it because it’s not B’s fault that A has played Harlem so much and should get a fair chance at plaing it too.

1 Like

Fun fact: the original algorythm used weighted probabilites. So even if you and your opponent played Harlem 10 times each all night, there was still a small (>5%) chance you’d play it again. Needless to say, everyone hated it.

3 Likes

In my experience sums do the job quite well. Since you are playing balanced all night it’s almost impossible for Player A to have played Harlem 4 times and Player B to have played in 0 times. The numbers will be more… balanced :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably true. I believe @alwysmooth said he did NOT use the balanced machine assignment option in his recent tournament, so there were some wacky imbalances. I think he’s planning to try that option at his next tourney, so it’ll be interesting to see the results.

1 Like

Definitely using Balanced next tourney, will be interesting to see how it works out

3 Likes

I use Balanced arena draws in 12ish player tournaments on 10 machines (and Swiss pairings). In two tournaments, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone assigned a repeat machine until having already played 7 matches.

1 Like

Hello,
I apologise upfront if I am in the wrong place here, but I am struggling.

I recently downloaded Brackelope and very impressed with it, I want to actively start using it for billiard tournamanents.

However I have a few questions on how to use the functionality and also if there is an alternative location for Brackelope support which I have looked for but couldn’t locate?

My queries

• Random vs Balanced vs Swiss. - Just like to know differences.
  • Rankings - Shown or nor shown on the Brackelope live page. Not sure what or how this works, criteria etc
  • Is there an option to embed the “live page” into my league website?
  • Is there a way to auto refresh the Brackelope live pages, rather than keep having to refresh browser, for live scores on apple Tv etc.

I have a few more queries but don’t want to go too far if I am in the wrong place :slight_smile:

I am extremely impressed with it so far, tested & intend on using it with Apple TV etc.

Thanks
Nachiva

1 Like

Having now experimented a lot with this.

It appears Random is as it suggests totally random.
Balanced would seem to avoid the same players playing each other again (when possible)
And Swiss picks puts equal players against each. no strike vs no strike, one strike vs one strike etc

Rankings I believe are in fact the ongoing and final scores, i.e. the current tournament rankings.
This (Rankings) does not appear to work at all on the bracket lope live screen at all.
I have created many test tournaments and I have no rankings displayed.

Is there something I am doing wrong? do I need to turn this function on somewhere?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Nachiva

1 Like

BTW

One tournament I created is called “four” and as you will see I have no rankings shown, same for all other tournaments I created.

1 Like

Nailed it!

• KO rankings online aren’t supported yet. But you can easily share them after the tournament completes.
• No native way to embed the live page on a website, either. You could maybe hack it with an iframe.
• I you can add “/autoscroll” the brackelope live URL and it will automatically scroll down to the bottom of the active matches list and refresh. This only works for the active matches list, not the bracket or results tab. ex: Brackelope Live

Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like