BK:SOR Magna Save

I think the function of the button is strange. Since ACDC we have ben taught that the button does magical
things. When you play BK3 it shines up in gold, shouting “press me!” And it does one thing.
For new players it must be quite confusing. If i owned it i would drill the cabinet.

2 Likes

Yeah, even a lot of non-novice players are instinctively hitting it when they drain. AC/DC and GoT have really trained people. It’s hard to even tell what’s happened when the magnet activates either. If you don’t already know what a magna save is, how would you ever figure it out?

2 Likes

The action button is rarely best used the second it lights up (nor as the ball drains), certainly not on AcDc.

AcDc - use as you drain out of MB (but only if you have enough to trigger add a ball)- or drain from last ball for a few pts.
ST - use to hit Vengeance at any time, but most efficient during Vengeance MB
TWD - awards a specific ‘hit’, but best used at specific times based on situation
GoT - Add a ball during MB if playing as Martell (or Greyjoy), or cheap pts at ball end
BM66 - awards a specific ‘hit’, but best used at specific times based on situation
Aerosmith - awards a specific ‘hit’, but best used at specific times based on situation
SW - turn on off shot multipliers, add a ball if qualified in MB, collect/destroy fighters
GotG - awards a specific ‘hit’, but best used at specific times based on situation
DP - awards a specific ‘hit’, but best used at specific times based on situation
Munsters - Cancel SJp and Zap awards
BK-SOR - magna save.

I’d argue that the only game where bashing it whenever it is lit, or flashes, would be Munsters - all others are situational.

JJP PotC is the one where you need to hit it immediately, when the flasher above mystery award flashes Gold.

2 Likes

Among tournament players you are correct. Among novices, I have noticed that people do exactly what you say they do not.

2 Likes

I didn’t say they don’t - I said they shouldn’t

Don’t forget “changes the priority mode/target of your button” as well. Usually great to use with the main MB so you can see the Villain/TV shots easier!

2 Likes

Really? So if you have no gadget, but multiple things running at once, you hit the button and cycle through which shots do what? I had no idea.

Kind of! It swaps the “active” TV when held, and only the active TV is targeted for Gadget hits (assuming the Villain is not gadget immune). Other mode shots do count, but the game chooses its shot based on the active TV.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that the button will award the shot corresponding to the Active TV, but also any other shots from the non-active TVs that are also on that same shot.

I know this is an old thread, but curious if more than a year of experience has changed anyone’s opinion? I have original BK and also SoR PRO, and although I was about 0 for 30 on my first attempts at the new magnasave, I have gotten used to it, and even find it hasn’t changed my muscle memory for the original BK…

I still haven’t gotten used to the BKSOR center button magna save. It still makes me mad, but it is what it is. I have to adjust better.

Very hard for sure but I’m fine with it.

Baratheon button power on the new GOT code is the same way. Just have to adjust better.

I still think the jungle lord type of magna save is the best way to do magna saves. So fun.

2 Likes

It’s weird, I have no problem with the center button for photon torpedos on Star Trek, or Boom on Deadpool, but IMHO it’s terrible on BKSOR. I think because the timing of using it for a ball save is so critical… the fraction of a second it takes to move your hand hugely affects the success (or lack thereof) using the feature.

3 Likes

You just need to learn to hit it up at early. If I think the ball is in danger, hit it. It holds for quite a while.

2 Likes

The thing that made it work better for me was learning to use my left hand to hit the button. Lets me keep the right hand in place for nudges.

I had BKSOR Pro at home for a few months earlier this year and I got used to it (It is a really fun game with the new rules).

If they had kept the magna-save button next to the flipper button like on BK (or the extra button on Munsters Pre/LE), it would have been too easy too. The placement adds an extra twist to its use. That the magna save also is used to collect the Super Jackpot makes it a more interesting use than on the other magna-save games too as there is risk/reward to using it (or not using it) and collecting and resetting the supers when you might not want to versus trying to save the ball.

Of course, I don’t really play old BK as it is hardly ever used in tournaments around here and I never play BK2K because it is never used in tournaments around here (and it is a TERRIBLE tournament game), so I am not that used to the old way either.

There are interesting mental adjustments to playing games like these, AS LE with the skill sticks, Baratheon on GOT, etc.

I guess i’m the one guy who is cool with the magna-save button placement. I save balls all the time with it – practically every game. Granted, i push it very early. I use it when it looks like a ball MIGHT be going towards the outlane. If you wait till the ball is definitely headed out, it’s too late. But since 99% of other players i see either go their entire game without using it, or use it way too late to make a difference, I feel my approach is definitely the way to go.

4 Likes

Yes, that is the only way to use it, as insurance when the ball is headed in a bad direction when there is still time to both activate it and for the relatively weak magnet to grab it. By definition this usually means the ball isn’t screaming for the outlane, but drifting towards it. Esp. useful when you’re out of tilt warnings so nudging is off the table.

Playing my R&M right next to it though, the R&M implementation is night and day more fun. It’s also not a “gimme” since you often have to time your release so the ball flings toward the inlane and not the outlane. Easily my favorite magna-save implementation in a game.

3 Likes

Agree, R&M you’ll screw yourself and fling it down the outlane more often than not til you get the hang of it. Takes some practice to figure out the timing. Great implementation.

3 Likes