Best Event Format for Maximum TGP % with 2-3H Event

As the originator of Multi-Play tournament a few years ago as an experiment, there were lots of mixed feelings by players beforehand. However, we found more players liked it than disliked it, and we tend to get better turnouts at many of the tournaments that involve multi-play. Fortunately in Seattle we have multiple tournaments every day, so players can choose their preference. I think more than anything, players like the variety, and it is a very interesting challenge to try to do well on multiple games when you have to switch machines every ball. While the original use of this format was multi-play in all rounds, that was extremely hectic to run, and there was less gain when you had to double or triple-up banks. We’ve since settled to using the multi-play in tournaments when you reach final 8 or final 16, where there are more machines available than players left, and when there’s a time crunch and the choice is playing one game, or one round of multi-play. A few monthly match-play tournaments, the Seattle Super-League, some of the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show (NWPAS) satellite tournaments, some of the Northwest Pinball Championship (NWPC) pre-tournaments, Northwest Women’s Championship at NWPAS and NWPAS Open Match Play tournaments all use multi-play for the final two to three rounds.

3 Likes

Played in one of these yesterday, it was quite fun. I’m a fan of having to remember different game/board states and adjust to machines on the fly. Definitely makes me a better player and the TGP value is nuts, it’s like a Hyperbolic Time Chamber when compared to a normal event.

I can definitely why this is popular among the WPPR fans. I will definitely play in more of these and look forward to more of these (hopefully) in SoCal.

I’ll note that I did terribly despite enjoying the format ha

1 Like