Batman 66 official. Two LCD screen and new toys.

I refuse to believe that Stern didn’t know that this would end up on Facebook within ten seconds of it landing at distributors. In the modern age there isn’t really any such thing as “distributor only” marketing, and if they think there is then that is just dumb.

6 Likes

perhaps there will be stipulations involved for those that do get the invite. Kind of along the lines of how Project Pinball does when they put a table in a hospital. There are rules the hospital has to follow. They just can’t do whatever they want to with it. I’d be shocked if they just chose 30 private collectors and let them do whatever. I’m thinking it will be things like can’t resell for x time period, has to be available to the public, etc. I doubt they are trying to make anyone feel special or bad, but rather create something that encourages pinball tourism. You have to go to a show, barcade, etc to play it.

1 Like

Yeah. Well. I give Stern the credit of mearly wanting to make a great and special game for their 30 anniversary and to mark the introduction of the colour display. We will see in a couple of months if this was genuine of a bit on the unserious tip.

The release of the extra special ultra-polished limited by invite only edition would have leaked eventually no matter what.

Tuned into the Bro podcast today and had to switch off. Pinside likewise. I am sorry. Just too much speculation and trash talk on Stern for my taste. I mean, could it be, that they for this special game only, did not want to invest in making a feature cut edition. Which they afterwards was going to sell at a reduced price. It could, perhaps, could it not.

Of course this sneak peak flyer is an official Stern produced press release - ment for public display. No compare to the leaked design models of the Ghostbusters game ahead of announcement.

I think stern is testing the waters to see how much demand is there for an even higher price point.

well the whole flyer is written pretty amateurish… so add it to the pile of WTF :slight_smile:

Yesterday on Twitter they made an analogy to Willy Wonka’s golden tickets. #facepalm

1 Like

My guess would be that the interactive one on the gamefield will be similar to the P2K effect, which is on the Ghostbusters Prem/LE. Not a huge P2K screen, but a small effect like on Ghostbusters, or WOZ/TH. Gomez implied a couple years ago that they were interested in having some interactivity with LCDs in the future, so this is probably the route they’re going.

Remember, there were “interactive” (I guess) LCDs on the playfields for both WWE LE and GB LE. They might do something interesting with them, but I’m guessing not.

More curious to see how the LCD in the backbox will look. Will it use the full resolution of the screen or just be faux-DMD a la ColorDMD’s LCD? Or even a higher resolution one like the MMR upgrade?

Hah, honestly - that might be quite cool. You order an LE and there is a 1/10 chance (or whatever) that when you open the box you find a Super LE !

(In reality it would never work, you’d have distributors opening boxes - but something like a golden ticket would certainly create a buzz on social media)

agree with you there, but I don’t see how the already stated invitation would play into it.

Any and every opportunity to make a profit, right? Even a celebrity’s death. Ugh.

2 Likes

i try to give benefit of the doubt, but that certainly crossed my mind. At the least it should have been known that it could be interpreted bad given the timing, and was certainly not the best analogy that could have been used.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with you on putting interactive in quotes. To me, besides the P2K, the only truly interactive LCD right now is in the P3 that Multimorphic is trying to get into production.

Sounds like they had a stockpile of extra crane toys gathering dust in the wherehouse.

I was thinking they need to do that gag from the show where they label everything. Like put a little sign that says ‘PINBALL PLUNGER’ ‘LEFT FLIPPER’ ‘RIGHT FLIPPER’ Like, right over the buttons.

3 Likes

with the word Bat preceding those. :laughing:

3 Likes

Of course, I was remiss!

Shoot, if those aren’t on there I’m going to be very disappointed.

I agree.
Not having any “Bat labels” would be a huge oversight.

The classic scene in that series was when B&R climbed up the side of a building, so there has to be some sort of Get to the Roof mode. Maybe the new display will rotate 90 degrees during that mode to show the scene in the proper orientation.

They usually had some celebrity poke their head out a window during the climb, as shown here. Stern should set it up to do pinball celebrities. {Lyman from MB: “That ball wants out sooo bad…”}

4 Likes