Attack From Mars v1.13 - Good for tournaments?

Yeah got that - I’m not hugely worried about it being an issue.

@neilmcrae any progress?

Sorry been crazy it’s all good to go I just need a couple of hours this weekend to press the button.

The upgrade works on a spare beagleboard just not tested it on a live one.

1 Like

Well it’s doing something…

Not looking good

Trying again

So first attempt the Rom runs then appears to be at the wrong clock speed and the game watchdog resets shortly after.

Just freaking realised I’m going to lose my high scores and my rule the universe date!!!

1 Like

Ok so it won’t boot with the 1.3b ROM - not obvious why but I’m guessing CGC have done more to the runtime emulator than is obvious.

Game bricked and high scores lost ! :smiley:

Neil

ok so managed to get the game working again by re-installing the last update which is good news and surprisingly the high scores are intact (but not my memory as I thought I’d ruled the uni on this game but its still TEX!)

Short story - 1.3b won’t boot, we need CGC to make it happen.

Thanks for trying!!

1 Like

Maybe because the romsizes are different?

I see there’s also a 1.1 version that’s the same size as 1.0 maybe try that one. I do wonder why CG didn’t use the 1.13b.

monster bash remake uses the home rom maybe they updated the emulator it that game

Yeah could be - I might order the board as a spare and root it so I can get more info off of it -

Currently It runs 1.1 now - uncertain why they used that. I’ve mentioned it a few times to them and they seem disinterested:(

To get the Rom to fit in the update image I had to delete some of the sound effect updates but they where already on my game.

The emulator might be looking at hard-coded addresses in the emulated RAM to snoop on the game state, and using that information in some way. The new ROM will have a different memory layout for game state, and therefore not compatible with the emulator. Remember, this isn’t just PinMAME running any ROM.

2 Likes

Username checks out.

1 Like

LOL!

I know a bit about mapping information in memory of pinball games.

I’d like to reverse engineer more information from more games, and haven’t worked on the project in some time, but it’s a start. At the very least, we should be able to figure out where games store the current score and game state (player count, current player, current ball), and likely the high scores table.

I hope to revisit that project again soon.

2 Likes

yeah I expected that would be the case; I do think that the CGC emulator has some code from pinmame.

Suggest everyone with a CGC AFM remake emails CGC and asks nicely for them to port the 1.3 rom. I’ve sent an email today. Probably won’t be at the top of their list with CC coming out but it will be good to register the ask.

New code update coming soon!!

1 Like

they can update there emulator to take the bigger rom for 1.13 (coin play hack) easy if they wanted to.
Monster bash has the coin play hacked home rom in it.